My First Complaint:(

Decorating By jaybird79 Updated 24 Apr 2011 , 4:26am by tryingcake

jaybird79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybird79 Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 14

icon_cry.gif Sigh, I knew it was going to happen eventually but I just feel awful. I had an order for 30 3in mini cakes, covered in fondant to look like hockey pucks. I didn't think they would dry out that fast, apparently I was wrong. The girl picked them up and didn't seem pleased from the get go about them. Anyhoo, she emailed saying 'she didn't want to complain but she tried one and it was dry and crumbled.' Due to the size I didn't do a filling, perhaps that could have saved them.

In the end, I emailed offering a full refund because I rather wash the whole experience clean. Just sucks and I feel bad of course. Sigh....

13 replies
wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 14

Sorry that happened to you . The cakes must have taken a lot of work to do . How long in advance did you bake them ?

jaybird79 Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 14

I baked them on Thursday, iced them and did the fondant that night and finished them up on Friday morning. I honestly don't know what to think because when I moved them the bottoms were soft and moist. So I don't know, it did take a long time, I didn't charge much and I feel like crap so its just sucky all around. To top it off I hate hockey! Haha.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 14

Hmm no they should not have dried out that fast...esp since you iced the same day.

If she didn't seem thrilled about them when she picked up, maybe she just wanted her money back.

Seems like it would be hard to make a black 3" cake look appealing.... sometimes bakers do a good job but customers request bad designs. haha. Maybe she didn't think before ordering little round black cakes.....?

wiggler Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 14

I dont even know what a hocky puck is supposed to look like ! Agree with Kitagrl , the cakes shouldnt have been dry if you cooked them so close to delivery . She was probably a picky customer not happy with her own idea when she saw it . Hope things work out better for you next time . I only bake as a hobby but I work in retail so I know what its like to get a customer who is not happy from the get go . It happens sometimes icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggler

I dont even know what a hocky puck is supposed to look like ! Agree with Kitagrl , the cakes shouldnt have been dry if you cooked them so close to delivery . She was probably a picky customer not happy with her own idea when she saw it . Hope things work out better for you next time . I only bake as a hobby but I work in retail so I know what its like to get a customer who is not happy from the get go . It happens sometimes icon_smile.gif

Here is a hockey puck:

http://finnfabulous.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/kiekko1.jpg

I think it would be very difficult to make a cake that is a "hockey puck" without making your guests just think they were little black cakes.....even a perfectly executed hockey puck cake (i.e. perfectly dark shiny black, perfectly round, perfectly smooth) would still just look like a little black cake!

Not to mention all the kids having little black mouths. LOL.

wiggler Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 11:02pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks Kitagrl , now I know what a hockey puck looks like . Why someone would want cakes to look like one is another story ? How could they ever look pretty / nice . Dont know . Havent had a request like that yet , thank God icon_smile.gif

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 11:04pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Hmm no they should not have dried out that fast...esp since you iced the same day.

If she didn't seem thrilled about them when she picked up, maybe she just wanted her money back.
Seems like it would be hard to make a black 3" cake look appealing.... sometimes bakers do a good job but customers request bad designs. haha. Maybe she didn't think before ordering little round black cakes.....?

That's just what I was thinking.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 11:27pm
post #9 of 14

Maybe the customer didn't expect the fondant to firm up?? If the fondant was firm and the cake did not have filling or a good deal of bc coating it, I could see how even a moist cake could seem a little dry.

Given the design that she requested, I don't think there is anything you could've done differently. Sorry this happened.

jaybird79 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 2:07am
post #10 of 14

Thanks everyone, feeling better about it. I agree the fondant probably did the whole thing in. She was going to do it herself orginially but decided to let me go with it. Kinda wishing she had tried and saw how its hard to make a hockey puck....here is what I had given her. Going to let it go and move on. I had a lady call me today excited about her upcoming order and it made me feel like I didn't suck, lol. Ah... hockey is evil. LOL

Kitagrl Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 2:10am
post #11 of 14

They're fine. It was just a dumb order. Once in awhile if I think an order is going to look stupid I do make gentle suggestions to steer them away. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't!!!! I would have suggested maybe a logo on top of the sports team, or maybe something totally different to avoid the black fondant...bleh! You did a good job though!

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 2:26am
post #12 of 14

They look just like hostess ding dongs.. would have been easier to have the lady get those lol... sorry this happened to you

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 2:28am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

They're fine. It was just a dumb order. Once in awhile if I think an order is going to look stupid I do make gentle suggestions to steer them away. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't!!!! I would have suggested maybe a logo on top of the sports team, or maybe something totally different to avoid the black fondant...bleh! You did a good job though!

I'm with Kitiagrl on this one! I really try to hear my customers out, but I also try to steer them in the right direction.
It's like someone said earlier, sometimes it's just a bad cake idea.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 4:26am
post #14 of 14

OMG - we've all had at least one every few years or so that insists on a really bad design and somehow it's our fault when we execute exactly as ordered. I have flat out told a customer it's not going to look like what you think, but they know more than me.... so there you go.

I agree, a logo on top would have made a big difference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%