Finally Legal! And A Question

Business By plymouthcakery Updated 23 Apr 2011 , 8:54pm by leah_s

plymouthcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plymouthcakery Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 6

I have finally gone through all the hoops, paid all the fees, and gotten everything inspected to make my home kitchen a legal business. Yay! icon_biggrin.gif Now that I am legal, I would like to start advertising to get some more business. Where do you all advertise? I do not bring in enough yet to do anything too expensive, so ideas that are on the free/cheap side would be appreciated. I have a Facebook page, and my business cards are out around town in various places (library, restaurant bulletin boards).

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 6

Do you have a specialty? Weddings? Kids birthday cakes?

plymouthcakery Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 6

Most of my business is kids' birthday cakes, but I've done lots of other themes, and two wedding cakes. My website just says "Specializing in Custom Cakes for Any Occasion".

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 6

Is adverting allowed in your state? My state allows home-based baking but advertising is strictly forbidden.

Of course, there are always loopholes. If you have any local media, see if they will trade publicity for your cakes. A radio talk show is perfect!

plymouthcakery Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 6

My BOH didn't mention anything about advertising being illegal. I can't find anything online, I will call on Monday to check though. Local media is a great idea, thanks!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 6

I'm into wedding shows, so that helps me. Our area also has kids services shows a couple of times a year, so that would work. Other than that a killer website.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%