Perishable Fillings With Fondant Cake In The Fridge?

Decorating By ErinKC Updated 24 Apr 2011 , 2:51am by dukeswalker

ErinKC Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 5

I'm so confused reading so many different opinions on putting a fondant cake in the fridge.

I have a bride who wants perishable fillings in her cake but also wants it covered in fondant. I usually only do BC icings because I'm not a fan of how fondant tastes and usually only use it for decorations and flowers. I have put them in the fridge before uncovered and it didn't seem to be a problem.

But researching fondant covered cakes it seems like everyone is freaking out saying to NEVER put a fondant covered cake in the fridge. But then some people say it's ok just don't touch it when you take it out so it doesn't smudge. I wish I could just get a straight answer.

4 replies
Kitagrl Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 5

I put every single last one of my cakes in the fridge, at all times, and then just request that it be left out at room temp for serving.

You can view my photos to see how it does not affect the way the cake looks in any way. It also transports much better while cold.

ErinKC Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you. I was leaning towards doing that.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 2:40am
post #4 of 5

I think the reason you're getting varying answers is because it depends on the type of fondant you use and how humid it is where you live. We use MMF and live in very humid FL, so anytime we have put a fondant covered cake in the fridge, we have terrible problems with sweating once it's pulled out. What we have to do with perishable fillings is just keep it in the fridge for as long as possible and then once it's covered with fondant, leave it out. I *think* (not positive though) that other types of fondant don't have a tendency to sweat as badly as MMF.

dukeswalker Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 2:51am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I put every single last one of my cakes in the fridge, at all times, and then just request that it be left out at room temp for serving.

You can view my photos to see how it does not affect the way the cake looks in any way. It also transports much better while cold.

me too....word for word.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%