Question For Those That Freeze Cakes After Baking

Decorating By brenda549 Updated 24 Apr 2011 , 6:06pm by cakesdivine

brenda549 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brenda549 Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 13

Do you tort before you freeze?

I usually bake, cool, freeze, thaw, tort, ice, and decorate over a one week period, in that order of course. Just curious what others do.

12 replies
sweetdreams1989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetdreams1989 Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 13

if you dont mind me asking whats tort ?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 13

sweetdreams, torting is when you take a single 2" cake layer and slice it in half, creating two 1" small layers. when you stack two 2", torted layers of cake together, you will have four 1" layers of cake with three layers of filling. Here's a pic of a piece of cake from a torted cake (there is no outside icing simply because of the overall cake design): http://www.flickr.com/photos/55969028@N00/445561652/

Brenda, I didnt' tort before I froze simply because I found it easier to tort more evenly when dealing with a partially frozen cake.

sweetdreams1989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetdreams1989 Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 13

oh ok thanks ive done it just didnt know what it was called

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 13

I always freeze my cakes and I never torte. I feel that by torting before you freeze it is too easy to ruin, wreck, distort, smash the edges of the cake - whatever you want to call it. I agree with what Indy said about torting.

Also if you have an Agbay torting is not a problem at all.

brenda549 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brenda549 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 2:41am
post #6 of 13

Thanks Deb and Peri!

That is my reasoning as well with the torting. It is so much easier to do when dealing with a cake that is partially still firm in the center.

I just ordered the Agbay! I am super excited to use it! I am the worst at torting (a combo of a lack of skills and an overabundance of overpriced crappy tools), but it is such a beautiful effect when the cake is cut.

Once again, thanks!

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 11:36am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenda549

Thanks Deb and Peri!

That is my reasoning as well with the torting. It is so much easier to do when dealing with a cake that is partially still firm in the center.

I just ordered the Agbay! I am super excited to use it! I am the worst at torting (a combo of a lack of skills and an overabundance of overpriced crappy tools), but it is such a beautiful effect when the cake is cut.

Once again, thanks!

You are gonna LOVE the agbay.. every cakers dream thumbs_up.gif Even my husband loves to watch the agbay in motion.. must be tool thing lol.. it does look kinda deadly and as though it should belong in his tool shed icon_wink.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 12:13pm
post #8 of 13

hmm . . . I always torte, wrap in plastic and then freeze.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 2:22pm
post #9 of 13

Like Leah I torte, crumb coat, wrap way too much, freeze!

Tzoavva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tzoavva Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 5:57pm
post #10 of 13

AJWonda (or Leah) since you tort and crumb coat before you freeze may I ask up to how long have you kept something frozen? THA

Tzoavva Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 5:57pm
post #11 of 13

AJWonda (or Leah) since you tort and crumb coat before you freeze may I ask up to how long have you kept something frozen? THA

Tzoavva Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 5:58pm
post #12 of 13

AJWonda (or Leah) since you tort and crumb coat before you freeze may I ask up to how long have you kept something frozen? TIA

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 6:06pm
post #13 of 13

let it defrost slightly then torte, fill and crumb ice. put back in freezer to set the crumb ice, then ice normally. Keeps the cake super moist.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%