Need Icing That Does Not Require Refrigeration...

Baking By breyes Updated 23 Apr 2011 , 6:13pm by breyes

breyes Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 8

Okay so here is my question...I am really limited on fridge space and want to make EAster cupcakes for my kids....well aside from a Sweetex based frosting or using Bettercream, is there another frosting that I can use that does not require being stored in the fridge???
Thanks for all your help!!!

7 replies
PTBUGZY1 Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 8

I love the flour based frostings for cupcakes, so delish.
Check recipe section for........
flour frosting- submitted by Dizzy Maiden and
whipped icing III submitted by Lenore

HTH

LisaPeps Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 8

Meringue buttercreams don't require refrigeration. You can leave them out at room temperature for 2-3 days, I have left mine out for 4-5 and they've still been fine.

If you are worried about eggs mixing with children then you can use powdered egg whites. However, there is really nothing to worry about as the sugar syrup (when making IMBC) reaches 118C/244F and cooks the eggs anyway. I'm not sure about the temps involved with SMBC as I only make IMBC and FMBC.

breyes Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks for the quick responses.

Thanks PTBUGZY1 I will check out the flour based frostings. I had tried one once and wasn't crazy about it, but will look at the recipes you suggested, especially because you said they were delish!!!

LisaPeps, I didn't know that the meringue buttercreams didn't require refrigeration!! I thought because of all the butter that I would have to keep them cold. I had tried a SMBC a while back and it had waaaaayyy too much butter in it (3 lbs.) and tasted horrible. I was considering trying a new recipe, but thought it had to be stored in the fridge. Thanks for the suggestion.

LisaPeps Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 8

Nope, the eggs are cooked and the sugar acts as a preservative. The icing actually solidifies when you refrigerate it, which is not good!

This is the recipe I use, it's in metric though:

5 egg whites
50g sugar .... whipped to stiff peaks

250g sugar
100ml water ... heated together

500g butter

1 - 1.5 tbsps vanilla flavouring

yummy!

breyes Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 5:21pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks LisaPeps, the metric isn't a big deal I will just convert it. I would follow the process for any other IMBC recipe. Do you use superfine/caster sugar or regular granulated sugar??
Thanks so much for your help!!! icon_smile.gif

LisaPeps Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 8

Yep same as any other IMBC recipe - whisk egg whites to frothy, gradually add smaller quantity of sugar ... Whisk. Heat water and sugar to 118c. Slowly pour into egg whites. Whip until bowl is luke warm. Add butter in chunks. Whip until incorporated. Add flavourings. Job done icon_razz.gif

For the smaller quantity of sugar I use superfine/caster sugar. For the larger quantity it doesn't matter, either is fine. Generally I use granulated as I have a big bag to use up, and I don't often use granulated in my cake recipes.

HTH

breyes Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 6:13pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks so much. I will let you know how it turns out!!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%