Bundt Tin Has Just Flown Out The Kitchen Window!!

Baking By mmmmmmmmcake1954 Updated 24 Apr 2011 , 8:06am by scp1127

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 6:33am
post #1 of 9

I decided to make an Easter cake for our family get together on Sunday, so though I would make my usual lemon cake with a lemon syrup and for a change try out a new Bundt pan I had recently bought - but sometimes things do not go quite to plan!! I greased the pan and floured it as I think I may have had some difficulty trying to line it with baking paper icon_lol.gif The baked and looked lovely - until after cooling in the pan as recommended I tried to turn it out icon_mad.gif I could not get the cake out, I eventually had to try and prise my spatular around the cake, anyway when I turned the pan over again a large lump of the luscious lemon cake was left in the pan with a few other parts of the cake icon_evil.gif Does anyone have any suggestions for using this pan and actually being able to get the cake out when cooked I would appreciate any help.
Thanks in advance.

8 replies
sunset74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunset74 Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 6:47am
post #2 of 9

Do you put the Syrup on the cake while it is in the pan. If so you may be leaving the cake in the pan way to long and it is sticking to the side. Personally I don't grease and flour pans. I use Pam for baking and just spray liberally, then let cool only about 5 minutes and turn it out. I would not put the syrup on it until after it is out of the pan.

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 7:33am
post #3 of 9

Thanks sunset, I did put the syrup on the cake whilst in the pan (as per recipe), but next time I will wait until I take it out, it shouldn't really stick and it's a non stick pan - but there you go!! icon_rolleyes.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 11:48pm
post #4 of 9

The more intricate the bundt cake pan, the more heavily it needs to be greased/floured or sprayed so that it releases after baking. Also, the cake should be removed while still warm so that the grease/flour/ doesn't cool and congeal - thus acting like glue.

I found that using spray release and fine dry bread crumbs worked best (got the tip from Maida Heatter)
(but others also recommend bread crumbs):

http://events.nytimes.com/recipes/1560/1981/12/20/Maida-Heatters-86-Proof-Chocolate-Cake/recipe.html

http://raisinrocks.blogspot.com/2011/04/lemon-blueberry-poppy-seed-bundt-cake.html

After removing the cake from the pan (allow to cool on rack). You can then clean the pan and return the cake to the pan (it won't stick now) and use your syrup. Or you can just brush or gently pour the syrup over the cake while on the cooling rack (with a tray underneath to catch the drippings).

HTH

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 12:14am
post #5 of 9

I pour the glaze in the pan and I have the WS Heritage pans with the sharp angle swirl. I use homemade cake release "painted" carefully on every part of the pan. When I take it out of the oven, I go around the sharp angles with an artist's palate knife. I poke holes in the cake. I then pour on the glaze so that it will settle on the bottom (the top of the cake), the sides, and in the cake itself. I do take it out of the pan in a few minutes because the warm cake and warm glaze come together immediately. I have never had a problem. With this method, you get more glaze into the cake.

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 12:20am
post #6 of 9

when i make a bundt cake, i use the spray to grease the pan. if it has little intricate designs in it, i put an extra layer over those. i let mine set for 5 mins, like above said, and then i pop the cake around in the pan before flipping. that way anything that is still sticking will break loose. never had a problem. hth!

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 12:33am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

I pour the glaze in the pan and I have the WS Heritage pans with the sharp angle swirl. I use homemade cake release "painted" carefully on every part of the pan. When I take it out of the oven, I go around the sharp angles with an artist's palate knife. I poke holes in the cake. I then pour on the glaze so that it will settle on the bottom (the top of the cake), the sides, and in the cake itself. I do take it out of the pan in a few minutes because the warm cake and warm glaze come together immediately. I have never had a problem. With this method, you get more glaze into the cake.

I, like the OP, have a bundt cake recipe that calls for this method of glazing. It really does soak into the cake this way.

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 7:34am
post #8 of 9

Thank you everyone for your help and advise. I had another go with the same recipe, but greased the pan well and did not flour it before putting the cake mix in when baked I turned it out of the tin and voila!!! perfick!! icon_lol.gif I then skewered and poured the sugar syrup over. I will post the pics as I was very pleased with the end result. thumbs_up.gif
Many thanks to you all and HAPPY EASTER

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 8:06am
post #9 of 9

Great news! Happy Easter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%