Ganache Vs Buttercream

Decorating By PeaceOCakeWY Updated 23 Apr 2011 , 10:20am by leepat

PeaceOCakeWY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PeaceOCakeWY Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 11:12pm
post #1 of 7

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever used a ganache as a crumb coat instead of buttercream. I have a sculpted cake coming up next week and was thinking about possibly trying a ganache for my crumb coat. Any thoughts?

6 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 3:04am
post #2 of 7

I don't use anything other than ganache under fondant. Compared to ganache, buttercream is a complete nightmare (for me anyway).

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 4:21am
post #3 of 7

I'm a ganache girl all the way. I never use buttercream under fondant.

CakemummyCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemummyCC Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 6:20am
post #4 of 7

I'd have to agree with the posts above, I recently tried ganache and will never look back.. thumbs_up.gif

sunset74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunset74 Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 6:55am
post #5 of 7

I have only ever done buttercream. How do you guys do your ganache. Do you make it then and then frost with it when cool, or do you pour it over when it is still thin and warm. I have never heard of doing Ganache under fondant.

medusas_touch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
medusas_touch Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 7:20am
post #6 of 7

I love, love, LOVE ganache. I prefer it over buttercream. It tastes so much better and I find it that much easier to work with too. Myself, I like to use it when it hasn't cooled entirely and smooth it over a cooled cake. It sets as you work and gives a wonderfully smooth finish.

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 10:20am
post #7 of 7

What type of white chocolate do you guys use for ganache? Nestles or some other brand?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%