Arrggh! $@!*&! Mmf!! Can Anyone Help?

Decorating By countrycaker Updated 23 Apr 2011 , 1:21am by countrycaker

countrycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycaker Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 10

I've been using Satin Ice fondant but didn't have any on hand so I decided to make MMF. I've made it in the past and had no problems. Today it's giving me ulcers though. It just has no stretchiness to it. It just rips - it seems almost more like playdough than fondant. Is there something I can add to it that can save it? I need this cake done today so if there's anyone that can help - PLEASE!!! I will repay you in smiley faces and good vibes!

9 replies
countrycaker Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 10

Okay, now I just read somewhere that the MMF has to sit overnight in order for it to become stretchy. True? It's been awhile since I've made it but I don't remember letting it rest before using it before and having it still be stretchy. Yikes. Maybe this cake will be covered in only buttercream after all... icon_sad.gif

hvanaalst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hvanaalst Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 10

Sounds like you put too much icing sugar in it. I would put it back in the microwave for 20 - 30 seconds to get the marshmallows soft, then knead it again with a lot of crisco. HOpe it works.

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 10

I very rarely let my MMF sit overnight. It's usually nice and stretchy right from the get go. In fact, I only let it rest if I want it to be a little more stiff for decorations instead of covering it. I agree with hvanaalst. Try warming it in the microwave and knead it with crisco, though i would start slowly with the crisco.

countrycaker Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 10

What if I softened up more marshmallows and added them? Do you think that would help?

genevieveyum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
genevieveyum Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 10

More marshmallows would probably help, you can also try warming up a few tbs of corn syrup and kneading that in along with a tbs of shortening. Another option is to work in some white modeling chocolate. It's almost always possible to save MMF!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 8:13pm
post #7 of 10

Let it rest. If you can't wait overnight, just stick it in the refrigerator for about an hour and it will be so much easier to work with.

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 9:35pm
post #8 of 10

To me it sounds like you didn't add enough liquid. Maybe a little vanilla? The shortening might help too.

Good luck!

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 9:36pm
post #9 of 10

Oh, and I'm not sure what you're using it for, but you could add a little tylose.

countrycaker Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 1:21am
post #10 of 10

Okay, so I tried a few things. I wrapped it in plastic wrap and let it sit a couple of hours, then I microwaved it, kneaded in a little shortening and a little glycerin. Doing those few things made it a little more pliable, but not much. I was able to pick it up and get it on the cake but had a big rip when I did. I decided to leave it on the cake rather than pulling off and having to start over. I used the infamous "cakers creative coverup" maneuver. icon_biggrin.gif So it's not done yet but I'll post a photo when it is. Definitely less powdered sugar next time. Thanks to all for so much help! Here's the payment I promised: icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gif
And the good vibes are in the airwaves coming your way! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%