Baked Too Early. How Do I Freeze?

Baking By MrsMoe07 Updated 25 Apr 2011 , 8:30am by Marianna46

MrsMoe07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMoe07 Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 8

I want to freeze a cake I made last night because I don't need it until Wednesday. What are the steps for freezing an undecorated cake? Or will it be alright if I just leave in the fridge individually wrapped in syran wrap until Tuesday?

Please help! TIA!

7 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 12:08am
post #2 of 8

I actually freeze all my cakes, even the ones I'll be decorating the next day. I do this because it helps settle the cake and because it makes the cake moister. I put each undecorated layer in two layers of plastic wrap and then in a ziplock bag. If the layers are too big to go into a ziplock, I put them in three or four layers of plastic wrap, which I guess might be overkill. Of course, I turn all my leftover batter into either cupcakes or cake layers and freeze them, so I actually always have some of both on hand for an emergency.

MrsMoe07 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 12:19am
post #3 of 8

I wrapped them in 2 layers of plastic wrap then heavy duty aluminum foil. When I go to thaw them should I remove the foil and sit in the fridge to totally thaw? Usually how long does that take? Should I make a sugar syrup? I read that some people do that. Is that really necessary?

Marianna46 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 12:39am
post #4 of 8

I find that thawing in the fridge takes forever, and it's not really necessary for an undecorated cake. It's not a medium where there will be a lot of bacterial growth if it comes to room temperature and has to sit there for awhile - that's actually what it's going to do eventually anyway! The foil was a good idea - I just never seem to have any on hand, so I don't think of it. I thaw mine outside the fridge with the plastic wrap still on and it takes about 2-3 hours. Of course, my kitchen is located about 2 blocks west of hell and has no AC, so it might take a little longer in yours. Some kinds of cakes - those that are sort of dry and porous to start with - really need a syrup, but the standard yellow, white or chocolate doesn't. I've actually only made one cake that called for a syrup, and when I tried the cake, I thought it was just fine without it.

MrsMoe07 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 2:11am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

Of course, my kitchen is located about 2 blocks west of hell and has no AC, so it might take a little longer in yours.

I live in NC and we had about a whole 2 weeks of spring and this weather already feels like hell so 2-3 it is. Thanks a lot.

MrsAC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAC Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 2:21am
post #6 of 8

do you have other food in the freezer with your cakes? i have never froze one before but i have worried about it picking up smells/odd tastes from other food in there with it like things sometimes do in the fridge..

MrsMoe07 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 3:14am
post #7 of 8

No I cleared it out before I put the cakes in. Not so much for smells but for space.

Marianna46 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 8:30am
post #8 of 8

Food in the freezer is usually wrapped so well that there's not much possibility of flavors getting from one to the other. Also, I suppose, the low temperature helps prevent this. I have things in my freezer that I keep for a long time alongside things I've just put in (cakes included) and I've never had any problem with contamination.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%