Scratch Vs. Box

Baking By jthollo Updated 23 Apr 2011 , 2:44pm by leah_s

jthollo Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 2:04pm
post #1 of 5

Hello I am going to be selling my cakes pretty soon and I just wondered if if was better to use from scratch cakes or box or if customers didn't really care. I have heard that some aren't pleased if they hear you use box cake?

4 replies
creativecakemom Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 1:28pm
post #2 of 5

If you use a box as a "base" and then follow a recipe that requires you to add ingredients to make it taste even richer the customer won't ever be able to tell the difference. There is a whole HUGE section in the recipes for Cake Mix Recipes that are all wonderful. Using a box has saved me lots of time & I've never had anything less than rave reviews. Have fun!
icon_smile.gif

ChilliPepper Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 5

If you are in The States or Canada then from the posts I have read on similar threads people are used to box cakes as you have so many lovely varieties. In the UK people expect scratch cakes - probably because we just don't have access to many box cakes over here!

CP x

ShandraB Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 5

I have used both boxed and scratch, but I only stick to scratch now. One caution with box mixes - the company may change or discontinue one you love and you won't be able to duplicate it.

Some people may be turned off if they find out you use box mixes, but some people also prefer their texture. It's mainly a matter of your clientele.

leah_s Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 2:44pm
post #5 of 5

This is one of the hottest topics on CC and there are probably already 100s of threads on here on this topic. Did you do a search before you opened this "can of worms"?

Also since you say you're going to start selling, you might as well do a search on "legal kitchens". That's the other hot topic with a gazillion threads.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%