Silocone Baby Mold Help

Decorating By LeeBD Updated 22 Apr 2011 , 5:33pm by LeeBD

LeeBD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeBD Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 1:33pm
post #1 of 5

I have a baby shower cake next week and just received my Baby silicone mold. Was wondering what the best product to use when making the mold...gumpaste, sculpting choc etc... I have seen some come out so beautifully on the cakes here. Does it need to set for a certain period of time? I tried a couple of practice runs but one came out with no nose and the other looked like it had brain surgery! Any advise would be helpful.
thanks

4 replies
cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 2:30pm
post #2 of 5

I use fondant on my baby mold (you can see in my pics on cupcakes). Fill the mold, cut off any fondant hanging out of the mold and then pop it in the freezer for about 10 minutes. You can then get the baby out without disfiguring it.

cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 5

Follow the tutorial on here, here's the link...

http://cakecentral.com/articles/683/how-to-make-a-gumpaste-baby-with-mold

And when you are filling/squishing your egg-shaped material into the mold, make sure to keep pushing it in there for a good minute. This way it will get into all the tiny crevices.

Good luck!

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 5:01pm
post #4 of 5

I made one of these for a baby shower cake last week (in my pictures if you want to see it) I used something called Mexican modelling paste because I could buy it flesh coloured already. I think it was basically gum paste. When I put it into the mould the first few came out with no nose, a triangular mouth etc, so I started just putting really small bits into the mould at a time and really pushing it into the tiny crevices, then I put it in the freezer for half an hour or so and took it out. When I took it out of the mould though I found I was squashing it a little bit sometimes, I tried to open the edges and push gently on the bottom of the mould to try and get it to just fall out. I don't know if it was the kind of paste that didn't freeze as quickly, or if I should have left it longer or if it was supposed to be still quite squashable!

LeeBD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeBD Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 5:33pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%