Icing Recipe For Best Piping?

Baking By d12bn Updated 22 Apr 2011 , 4:47pm by Unlimited

d12bn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d12bn Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 12:42pm
post #1 of 4

Is there something I can add to frosting to make it better for piping? I usually use a butter cream cheese recipe made with cream cheese,butter,powdered sugar, vanilla extract and crisco. It is not consistent sometimes to soft or to hard when piping.
So I'm looking for a new recipe or additive to make a better piping frosting.
I'm about to do some grass piping for the first time and don't want droopy grass.

Thanks

3 replies
Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 1:33pm
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by d12bn

It is not consistent sometimes to soft or to hard when piping.

When it's too softadd more powdered sugar.
When it's too hardyou can add piping gel.

If you don't want droopy grass, add more PS.

d12bn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d12bn Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 4

I've never used piping gel, so I can just add it to my cream cheese icing recipe? What effect will it have for icing a cake, will it help get the icing smooth and flat? Or should I just use it for piping?

FYI I don't use fondant to cover my cakes I just use icing and try to get it as smooth as possible, then use fondant for decorations as well as some piping.

Thanks

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 4

Yes, just add it to your icing recipe whenever you need to thin it down for piping. I've never heard of anyone adding piping gel to icing for frosting a cake... I wouldn't think that you'd want your icing thinned down too much for thatyou'd want it a creamy, medium consistency, not so thin and soupy that it slides down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%