So Disappointed Gotta Vent

Lounge By mustang1964 Updated 24 Apr 2011 , 11:24pm by sewsugarqueen

mustang1964 Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 5:49am
post #1 of 14

My son was selected as one of three students in the state for a four year scholarship to any school in the state he chooses. They sent him a letter saying congratulations but due to state funding there is a very high probability that none of the scholarship will be awarded. However he will get a certificate from the Governor. Why on earth would they send something like that? It would be like saying you won the lottery but can't have the money. Guess that's what the 4.0 since seventh grade and hours and hours of community service gets you these days.

13 replies
indydebi Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 8:29am
post #2 of 14

that is crazy-insane! icon_eek.gif

poohsmomma Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 12:32pm
post #3 of 14

What a huge disappointment that must be!

As a retired teacher, I HATE seeing all the education funding cuts; just sickens me.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 1:11pm
post #4 of 14

I'm sorry to hear that. Our homeschool group was recently having a discussion about scholarships and such. The experienced moms said that they have found the expensive schools have lots of money to give out and will many times give out full or close to full scholarships quite easily to talented students, which obviously your son is. I also heard this on a radio program the other day. The woman on the show said many students don't know this and avoid applying to those schools because they think they cannot afford it.

Congratulations and Best of luck to your son!

Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 14

That is just plain cruel..Instead of sending such a hurtful letter they should have just announced that due to funding cuts the scholarships will temperaily be suspended ...or something but to say you qualify but won't get it is just plain ignorant!!

warchild Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang1964

My son was selected as one of three students in the state for a four year scholarship to any school in the state he chooses. They sent him a letter saying congratulations but due to state funding there is a very high probability that none of the scholarship will be awarded. However he will get a certificate from the Governor. Why on earth would they send something like that? It would be like saying you won the lottery but can't have the money. Guess that's what the 4.0 since seventh grade and hours and hours of community service gets you these days.

You might want to let your local TV news station know about this letter. They may take an interested or they may not, but its worth the chance to get this known. Publicity about this kind of thing, a worthless letter in your sons case, can sometimes do wonders if the right people are involved.

mustang1964 Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 14

He is going to try to find out who the other two kids in the state are that qualified for the scholarship and see if they can't plead their case somewhere. He has also written letters to all our state representatives congressmen and woman the Governor and anyone else he could think of. I know it probably won't change things but it will be a good learning experience for him. He is to be featured on a television spot that runs several times through the month of June about all the valedictorians in the schools in this part of the state. I told him when they interview him about his accomplishments he should tell them about the scholarship. I know he won't he hates attention. Heck he wouldn't even let us give him an eagle scout ceremony because he said that would be bragging so we had to just hand him the award. Oh well everything will turn out o.k. he does have several other big scholarships he will be able to take advantage of but nothing that big.

warchild Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 9:46pm
post #8 of 14

If your son is going to be featured on TV that would be ideal for him to mention the scholorship not happening. Not in a forceful way but in a casual way. Just mention a few words about it, so it'll be known to the public he's not getting what hes being featured for.
The public has a lot of clout when they come together for a cause or to right a wrong, and your son is deserving of that.

dldbrou Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 9:56pm
post #9 of 14

Hmmmmm. I wonder if you could just hand the college the certificate and tell them to take up the collection of tuition with your Governor.

I bet if it was a scholarship for sports, the money would be there. Just saying. Our son got a lousy state scholarship for some of his tuition (TOPS) (4.0) and we were told that if he played sports, he would have gotten a much larger scholarship.

How many doctors, lawyers, professors played sports their whole time in college.

Stepping off my soap box now.

tryingcake Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 1:28am
post #10 of 14

Sad - really sad!

cakelady2266 Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 2:05am
post #11 of 14

Sorry that happened to you and your son. Nothing worse than dangling a carrot in front of your nose and then slapping you in the face with it.

I noticed at awards day one year how small the academic scholarships were. Not that $500 bucks wouldn't help. But there seem to be plenty of full and partial sports scholarships to go around. Apparently it doesn't matter if you can read or write as long as you can put fans in stands at game time.

GeminiRJ Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 7:44pm
post #12 of 14

You have every reason to be very proud of your son and all he has accomplished! I can understand your disappointment. But....money is tight everywhere. If there is no money, there is no money. Keep looking for other scholarship opportunities and try not to spend too much time thinking about this unfortunate turn of events. I'm positive your son will reap the benefits of all his hard work!

au_decorator_76 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 9:02pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

You have every reason to be very proud of your son and all he has accomplished! I can understand your disappointment. But....money is tight everywhere. If there is no money, there is no money. Keep looking for other scholarship opportunities and try not to spend too much time thinking about this unfortunate turn of events. I'm positive your son will reap the benefits of all his hard work!

It sucks but Agreed! With accomplishments like that he'll most likely be finding all sorts of scholarship options out there. This isn't the only one available. That's exciting he was even chosen!!

sewsugarqueen Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 11:24pm
post #14 of 14

I have to agree with the person who suggested you contact your tv/newspaper and get an article on this. I refuse to believe that 3 school scholarships to public college are going to make a major dent in the state's budget!!! Does this sound like a vent too? Sorry but I remember being an Illinois state scholar, holding a part time job, doing volunteer work and having a high average to be told that because my father had a job ( and 5 kids to raise) I didn't qualify for money ... only the certificate. I delayed school and worked at minimum wages for almost 2 years to put my self through school. ( I also left the state). This was 30 years ago so things don't change.
Show this to your son. Now is the time to respectfully speak up for himself and others who actually work at school. He earned that scholarship it wasn't handed to him. Isn't it amazing that sports figures and entertainers get way better pay than most people in trades,business and self employed jobs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%