I Need Some Ideas To Help With Shaky Hands.

Decorating By Sugarflowers Updated 23 Apr 2011 , 3:24am by cakesrock

Sugarflowers Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 4:00am
post #1 of 7

I have Multiple Sclerosis and it has now caused problems with fine motor control. In other words, my hands shake like I've drunk two pots of coffee (I don't drink coffee). The more fine control that I need my hands just take off own their own. I've tried using my left hand for detail and sometimes it works. I've also tried hold my right hand still with my left. That seems to double the problem. icon_smile.gif I've tried all kinds of support for my hands, so now I'm looking for a new or alternative ideas for compensating for the shakes.

I am working on several ideas for decorating that can done without standing (no stamina and shaky legs) and techniques for fondant without having to roll out large pieces of fondant. Again, no stamina and greatly reduced strength.

If anyone has discovered a way to work with hand issues I hope you are willing to share.

Thanks

Michele

6 replies
Rusti Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 4:23am
post #2 of 7

Hi,

I don't have the answers you seek but I understand the no stamina because I have lupus. For that you just have to learn to pace yourself, work a little, rest, then a little more
Just wanted to send out hugs for support. Hopefully someone will be able to help.

Rusti

Sugarflowers Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 2:13am
post #3 of 7

Rusty, I appreciate your post and I'm saddened to know that you have Lupus. It seems as if resting is all that I do and man, am I sick of it.

My hands shake more often than not. My signature looks like I'm either a child learning to write or I have just left my marbles rolling around on the floor. Esssentially, what I need is a contraption that I can control with shaky hands but various buffers and stabilizers to counter the shakes. Maybe I can devise something like this.

All ideas are welcome.

Michele

MadMillie Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 2:39am
post #4 of 7

I used to teach students with disabilities and the occupational therapist used wrist weights to help with shakiness. It may tire you more quickly, but it may be worth a try.

Sugarflowers Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 2:44am
post #5 of 7

It's worth a try. Thanks.

Michele

MadMillie Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 2:53am
post #6 of 7

Try to find ones that allows you to adjust the weight, it will have pockets that you can slide weights in and out in small increments.

cakesrock Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 3:24am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMillie

I used to teach students with disabilities and the occupational therapist used wrist weights to help with shakiness. It may tire you more quickly, but it may be worth a try.

I was going to suggest you talk to an OT - there may be an adaptive device out there. The weights sound like a good idea. Can you get a machine (like cake boss has) to press your fondant through? It's like a big pasta maker...Then you don't have to roll it out.

Maybe you could use some sort of rolling cart with brakes on it as a work station? A rolling chair with an adjustable height may work too. I'm just brainstorming - not sure if any of these ideas will help. But they may get your creative juices flowing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%