When To Use The Fondant Wrap Method?

Decorating By whit6 Updated 24 Apr 2011 , 2:20pm by ajwonka

whit6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whit6 Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 2:40am
post #1 of 6

I get that you use the wrap method for fondant when cakes are tall, but at what point is a cake considered "tall"? 6 inches? 7? Just curious.

I am doing a mad hatter cake and I am pretty sure I will have to wrap the fondant around it. This will be my very first attempt at this method. Once you
wrap the strip around the sides, and put the circle cut out on top, how does it not look ridiculous att he top where the seam is? Is there a trick to it?

Does anyone have videos or pictures using the wrap method?

5 replies
whit6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whit6 Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 6

Pretty please? Anyone?

specialtycakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
specialtycakecreations Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 6

I would love to know too!

Jmlpitbull Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jmlpitbull Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 6

Put a rope attached with some water to cover the seam at the top. Kind of like cording on a hat. As for the seam down the side, run a stitching wheel on both side so that it actually looks like a seam! Hope this helps! Oh, you can also roll your fondant around an old paper towel to move easier!

seedrv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seedrv Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 12:44pm
post #5 of 6

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1987879

My cake was four, 5 inch tiers. I tried twice to cover it from the top and it wouldn't work. I put a piece on the top about to where the red top color ends. Then I wrapped the rest. There was a seam in the back. To hide the top seam; one time I made a mistake of making my mmf too "thin" so I could get it out of my extruder. It wouldn't hold its shape and just kinda mushed into the cake and disappeared. So I made mush mmf by adding water and crisco and made a paper thin half inch ribbon with an extruder to go around the top seam. After putting it on you rub it with more crisco and your smoothing tool. By the time it's painted, no one noticed. (This was my first time with my airbrush so I have a little work to do keeping the stripes cleaner next time.)

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 2:20pm
post #6 of 6

Wish I had found this about a month ago! Great info! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%