Need Some Cake Buddies..irate Grandma..

Decorating By LisaMaeCakes Updated 22 Apr 2011 , 5:27pm by Justforfun751

LisaMaeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMaeCakes Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 1:51am
post #1 of 13

For the life of me I can't wrap my brain around this. I did a cake this past Saturday. Turned out beautiful. Exactly like the bride wanted. Called the grandma (who I have had to deal with the entire time as she was paying for the cake) to see about getting the cake stand back and to chat a minute about the cakes. She proceeded to blast me about the cake...it was plain with absolutely no decorations, looked like a child had decorated it, I should be ashamed, I owe her the money back, didn't have a bride and groom on it like a REAL wedding cake does, etc, etc, etc,....

I asked her what do you mean no decorations. She says..."nothing at all but some plain white icing". I asked, what about the rhinestone banding, flowers with rhinestone centers, peach ribbon with brooch, etc. She said "lady, there was nothinig on that cake". I told her that I had pictures of the cake as it was when it was delivered. She said your pictures mean nothing, I have pictures of my own and it's going to be put on FB and tell everyone how horrible I am" . (of course, all of this was with horrible grammar and with her husband in the background yelling his affirmation of all these accusations.

I emailed the bride who is on her honeymoon to get her take on this. She has been such a sweet bride.

What the heck?! Has anyone ever had this happen to them? I'm just sick to my stomach.

Lisa

12 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 2:56am
post #2 of 13

It sounds like granny regrets spending the money. You have pictures proving you did as requested. Her pictures were probably taken when they removed the decor to serve the cake. Did granny's check clear yet? If so, tell her there are laws against knowingly lying in public about another person. Liable? Slander? I can't remember which one, but I think it's slander.

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 4:31am
post #3 of 13

Hi Lisa,

I agree with the other poster. Your work is lovely, don't let granny beat you down. Hopefully the Bride can cool granny down when she gets back. Yes, slander it the right term if she goes public. You've got your pictures to prove it.

Rusti

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 5:02am
post #4 of 13

Sounds like granny realizes she didn't have the money to spend on a great cake and is now trying to get some money back. Her husband probably yelled at her for spending money. People are insane.

Ask the bride if the wedding photographer took pictures of the cake. I have NEVER been to a wedding where the photographer didn't take a zillion pictures of the cake before it was cut into.

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 5:04am
post #5 of 13

I just took a look at your cakes...They're beautiful. Don't let granny shake you. We all get bat shit crazy customers every now and then.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 5:39am
post #6 of 13

Have you posted a picture here yet of the cake? Would love to take a peek

BakerAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerAnn Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 6:53am
post #7 of 13

Lisa, I am so sorry that you are the recipient of this lunatic's ravings. She obviously has a loose screw, as does her husband. The only scenario I can think of is that someone (maybe them?) sabotaged your cake after you set it up and left.

Cheatize is right. If Grumpy Granny goes off like a bottle rocket on Facebook you can go after her for damaging your reputation and therefore your livelihood. Contrary to her ignorant remarks your photos DO mean quite a lot.

I hope you have a cake coming up soon with a sane client. That will be the best way to get the bad taste out of your mouth from this episode. I also went out and looked at your cake photos. Beautiful work. Don't hesitate to sic a lawyer on her if she slanders you!!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 11:00am
post #8 of 13

It would be libel for written words, slander for verbal. You can also sue for intent to cause financial damage to a business. I would send granny a certified letter with the name of the attorney you plan to use. Send her the definition. Hopefully you have an attorney friend that won't mind you dropping the name. Granny should back down.

LisaMaeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMaeCakes Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 2:28pm
post #9 of 13

Well, all is well. I had emailed the bride last night but didn't expect anything back until after the honeymoon. She was so apologetic that the granny did this. She said the cake was beautiful and was exactly like she wanted. Said the granny had been doing things like this for a month or so and believe something is seriously wrong mentally or physically.

OMG I'm so relieved. Was beginning to think I was crazy icon_smile.gif

I'll post pictures as soon as I get professional ones. The ones I took are not too good. A photographer I am not icon_smile.gif

Thx for all your encouragement
Lisa

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 2:50pm
post #10 of 13

great to hear the good news from the bride! thumbs_up.gif

granny sounds like my aunt .... will do ANYTHING to get something for nothing. my aunt has called businesses to complain about something that has nothing to do with her (problem that a relative had with the business). She told one pizza place, "I'll never order one of your pizzas again!" When she told me this story, I asked her, "And did you ALSO tell them that you'd never ordered from them in your life to start with and they weren't really losing anything?" dunce.gif

I love my aunt dearly but my husband told me that she is not welcome at our house once he heard the story about how she slipped on ice and sued her own son. Her reasoning? "Well, HE doesnt' pay for it .... his insurance does!"

Queento2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Queento2 Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 3:33pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

great to hear the good news from the bride! thumbs_up.gif

granny sounds like my aunt .... will do ANYTHING to get something for nothing. my aunt has called businesses to complain about something that has nothing to do with her (problem that a relative had with the business). She told one pizza place, "I'll never order one of your pizzas again!" When she told me this story, I asked her, "And did you ALSO tell them that you'd never ordered from them in your life to start with and they weren't really losing anything?" dunce.gif

I love my aunt dearly but my husband told me that she is not welcome at our house once he heard the story about how she slipped on ice and sued her own son. Her reasoning? "Well, HE doesnt' pay for it .... his insurance does!"

LMBO!!!! at your aunt's accident.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 3:44pm
post #12 of 13

Well at least you heard from the bride and all is well and she was happy with it...Sounds like Granny may have Dimensia or Alzheimers..Sad.

Justforfun751 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justforfun751 Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 5:27pm
post #13 of 13

Is it possible Grandma didn't see the cake until the decorations were off and it was being cut? She might then have assumed that it wasn't "decorated"? Just another thought, although it sounds more probable that Grandma has other issues...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%