Gum Paste And Marshmallow Fondant Questions???? Need Help

Decorating By miasmom82 Updated 22 Apr 2011 , 5:58pm by jennifercullen

miasmom82 Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 1:12am
post #1 of 3

So I am new to doing cakes. I made MMF for the first time tonight. How much does one batch cover. I have only cover one cake before. I need to cover a 10 by 2 inch round and a 7 by like 4 cake with filling. Do I need to make a nother batch. I am covering the cakes tomorrow for Saturday.

I also made gum paste from the Wilton brand can. And it is really soft and gummy. It rolls more like fondant but want hold it shape after I roll it. Do I need to get pre-made stuff or can I save it? Thanks so much icon_smile.gif

2 replies
leah_s Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 1:15am
post #2 of 3

can't help with MMF 'cause I hate the stuff. For the gumpaste, you've got too much moisture in it. You can knead in a bit more of the mix, or some cornstarch

jennifercullen Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 3

With the mmf, I'm having a similar problem not knowing how much I need for my cakes! I covered one today for which I needed an 11 inch circle to fit the top and sides and I used about 1lb of icing I think. I just cut a bit of and rolled it out a bit to get an idea of how big I could roll it. I hope that's maybe a tiny bit helpful. Iv only done I think 6 cakes and I think now its getting to the point where I can look at a cake and look at a pile of fondant and know how much of it I will need to cover it so you will probably get it soon. If I'm not sure I have a box of store bought fondant or a couple of packs of marshmallows in the cupboard in case I need to make more but I usually end up making too much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%