College Mascot Edible Image Allowed?

Decorating By Swede-cakes Updated 22 Apr 2011 , 2:31am by Swede-cakes

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 4

My cousin is graduating from college and I wanted to create a cake for him with the mascot image on it. I was told at the local grocery that they can't do the edible image for me. I told them it's just for personal consumption and she wouldn't budge. So college mascots are copyrighted too, I guess? I think the mascot image is just not something I want to do a FBT for b/c of the small details.

Does anyone know of a place that legally offers edible images for various colleges?

Thx!

3 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 12:35am
post #2 of 4

If you contact the college you should be able to obtain a letter giving you permission to use the mascot's image on the cake, especially considering that it's for personal consumption only. Take this letter to the grocery store (you may have to talk to the store manager) and see what they say.

Another option would be going through this site:
http://www.edibleprinting.com/

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 1:18am
post #3 of 4

Lots of my groom's want a college mascot on their cake, and yes they are definitely copyrighted. I require the groom to write to the school's PR department and ask for a "one use permission." I've never had anyone refused. The groom forwards the permission email to me and then I can take that to the cake store along with a picture for them to run the image.

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 2:31am
post #4 of 4

Thanks Jason and Leah. That definitely steers me in the right direction. I appreciate your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%