Do You Like The Look Of Topys Turvy?

Decorating By sweetmonkeycheese Updated 22 Apr 2011 , 9:04pm by cakification

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 9

I am not the biggest fan of that look, I think many of them dont quite look right (although some seem perfect and look great) it seems like they are easy to mess up and just look a little "off"

I thought ya always had to cut the shape but I see they have pans for that now.

http://www.pastrychef.com/CAKE-PAN-SET--TOPSY-TURVY-ROUND_p_1949.html

http://www.pastrychef.com/CAKE-PAN-SET--TOPSY-TURVY-SQUARE_p_1950.html

do ya like the look? do ya cut or use a pan?

8 replies
m_willford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_willford Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 9

I've never done it, but keep meaning to at least try it. There wouldn't be enough call for them to bother investing in the pans, I'd just cut.

I think that done right, it's a very whimsical look. But if you aren't precise about your cuts they tend to just look sloppy. Which is very different from whimsical...

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 9

I've never done one. Someday I'll do one. When that time comes, I'll definately carve.

When done correctly, they look cute and fun. When not done correctly...well...they're Cakewrecks bound.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 11:06pm
post #4 of 9

I've never made one either. I don't know if I even want to. I like them when they're done well, but unfortunately, they're not often done well. icon_smile.gif At least IMHO.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 8:39am
post #5 of 9

In my personal opinion: the ones done well look great. the ones not done well look hideous. There is no in-between.

My personal taste is ..... I would not want my family to get me one. Its my old-age paradigm: I spent too many decades learning to make cakes straight and level so by jiminy that's how they're SUPPOSE to be! icon_lol.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 11:18am
post #6 of 9

^ what she said.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 11:59am
post #7 of 9

Not a fan.

Ummeiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ummeiko Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 5:06pm
post #8 of 9

I like them if they stand straight, but just have slanting tops. I don't like the ones that look like they're going to fall. By golly, cakes should not fall!

cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 9:04pm
post #9 of 9

I personally love them. I think they are the most interesting looking cakes (if done well). But IMO they look better when they have a minimum of three tiers. I think they look odd with just two tiers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%