In Another Crisis :( Don't Think I Can Fix This One! Help!

Decorating By yamber82 Updated 22 Apr 2011 , 1:38am by yamber82

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 8

first of all thanks to everyone who has been helping me so far. i am doing a 3 tier offset square wedding cake. b&w stenciled with green ribbon. i finished it yesterday and it's in the fridge. it looks really good but i noticed jsut now the black icing on the stencil work is leeching into the BC just a tiny bit. the wedding is saturday. i still have the grooms cake to do. is it going to get worse?????? i can't fix it without starting all over!!!

7 replies
sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 8

ohh I have no idea, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya

erin2345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin2345 Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 8

Not to be rude, but you finished the cake on Wednesday and it is going to sit in your fridge until Saturday when they eat it? That seems like a long time. On the bright side, you will have plenty of time to re do it if it gets worse.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 8

Oh dear. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it will probably get worse by Saturday.

Wednesday is earlier than I've ever done for a Saturday wedding. Knowing it was a black stencil on white, I would probably not have done the black part until Saturday morning.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 11:28pm
post #5 of 8

Eeek - first I can't imagine finishing a cake that far in advance then having it sit in the fridge. I'd be really paranoid it would not taste fresh. But that's not your question.

It's going to get worse, any colored icing is going to bleed if you have it in a fridge that has the possibility of condensation build-up. Or, if you are opening and closing the door a lot, or have the door open for any period of time. You can cut down on that condensation by boxing the cake, but you'd need a really big fridge since you've already stacked. My advice is to scrape the black off and re-do the stencil the night before.

Good luck!

Jen

yamber82 Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 12:17am
post #6 of 8

thanks. and yes i know it's early. i've never done one this early before. the groom's cake is really detailed though and it's a super busy week so i didn't have a lot of choice this time. i def learned my lesson though!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 1:20am
post #7 of 8

ditto the above. You can't finish a cake on Wednesday for Saturday to start with. And you sure can't hold black piping that long.

yamber82 Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 1:38am
post #8 of 8

what is the earliest that it would be ok to finish a cake by? i usually bake, freeze, and thaw 2-3days before. carve and bc 2 days before and decorate the day before but i have heard of bakeries taking cakes out up to a week in advance. this was kind of an emergency situation. i thought it would be ok icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%