Buying Buttercream? Using Pre-Made Buttercream?

Decorating By MeganTavera Updated 17 May 2013 , 9:15pm by ann1112

MeganTavera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeganTavera Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 1:04pm
post #1 of 12

ok so im new here and hopefully wont offend anyone by asking this. i have never used already made buttercreams before but was thinking on trying it out. ive tried looking up some things on the wilton buttercream mix and also CK white fluffy buttercream. has anyone ever used these? or any type of already made buttercreams? do you/would you as a cake decorator use this or consider using this?

Thanks icon_smile.gif

11 replies
tamdan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamdan Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 12

I think a lot of cake decorators use premade buttercream as it is a time saver. I would not recommend using the Wilton buttercream. I used it once on a pinch because I ran out and it tasted awful. I have never used CK's buttercream. I usually make my own because I love the taste of Italian Meringue Butter Cream and haven't found any place that will sell it pre made. If I need regular buttercream, I will purchase it from a cake supply store.

MeganTavera Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamdan

I think a lot of cake decorators use premade buttercream as it is a time saver. I would not recommend using the Wilton buttercream. I used it once on a pinch because I ran out and it tasted awful. I have never used CK's buttercream. I usually make my own because I love the taste of Italian Meringue Butter Cream and haven't found any place that will sell it pre made. If I need regular buttercream, I will purchase it from a cake supply store.

Thank you. i always have made my own buttercream but its getting to be a pain. i purchase all of my cake supplies from a cake supply store online and thats where i will get if from. thanks for the heads up on wilton. ive tried to make italian mirengue buttercream before and i dont know if im doing it right bc it always feels greasy in my mouth (i use no shortening at all) but it tastes good i just hate the texture so i dotn use it. i think im doing something wrong. ive tried a few recipes and they all turn out the same. do u have any tips?

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 12

I have only bought from from a local grocery store (publix) they have the yummiest, but it aint cheap so I make my own.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 7:34pm
post #5 of 12

I have never tried it, but I know the Sam's Club in my area will sell their icing by the bucket. Some people really like it.

Nwbi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nwbi Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 1:52am
post #6 of 12

Sam's Club Buttercream is very reasonably priced. It comes in chocolate and white. Will keep unrefrigerated for a couple of months. You have to call a few days in advance and order it. It is about $30 for 48 lbs. That is a lot! I can't make it for that.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 2:07am
post #7 of 12

To play devil's advocate, as your customer, if you are using the same cake and icing that I can buy for the fraction of the price at Safeway I don't know why I'd order from you. Know what I mean?

I don't see your location, the types of cake you make, or what your target customer is, so the sage advice is to do what works for you and what you think you can sell. thumbs_up.gif

Jen

MeganTavera Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 11:37am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

To play devil's advocate, as your customer, if you are using the same cake and icing that I can buy for the fraction of the price at Safeway I don't know why I'd order from you. Know what I mean?

you know what? that makes alot of sense. i never thought of it that way! thank you . icon_smile.gif

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 3:21pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganTavera

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

you know what? that makes alot of sense. i never thought of it that way! thank you . icon_smile.gif

thumbs_up.gif Glad you took that as a positive comment! Personally I think bakeries that use pre-made everything are either in competition with chain and grocery store bakeries so their pricing reflects that (which means they must make their money in volume), or are uber famous decorators like Duff, where people buy his stupid cakes because of his skill and reputation.

Most of us here fall somewhere in the middle, so again go with what you feel you can compete with and what your customers will pay for.

Jen

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 4:15am
post #10 of 12

I normaly keep a bucket of sams club butter cream on hand. It is quick for those last minute orders. Orherwise I make my own. But it is cheaper than making it.
Someone ask why would a customer buy a cake from me if I use the same frosting as walmart. They only know that they like my frosting and how moist and the many flavors that I offer them.

We have tried many premade purchased frostings at the shop but the sams club is available anytime, and no minimum order from suppliers. And some of the purchased have a horrible after taste. Sams is quite nice. You can add more vanilla or almond if you want to change the flavor.

you can also purchase many premade butter cream colors from sams. small 8 pound buckets a great way to get bold colors at a reasonable cost of about I think 15.00 (maybe wrong).

And also the frozen "bettercream" is available prewhipped in a 15 pound bucket.
I am not sure of the cost but cheaper than anywhere else.

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 4:21am
post #11 of 12

I normaly keep a bucket of sams club butter cream on hand. It is quick for those last minute orders. Orherwise I make my own. But it is cheaper than making it.
Someone ask why would a customer buy a cake from me if I use the same frosting as walmart. They only know that they like my frosting and how moist and the many flavors that I offer them.

We have tried many premade purchased frostings at the shop but the sams club is available anytime, and no minimum order from suppliers. And some of the purchased have a horrible after taste. Sams is quite nice. You can add more vanilla or almond if you want to change the flavor.

you can also purchase many premade butter cream colors from sams. small 8 pound buckets a great way to get bold colors at a reasonable cost of about I think 15.00 (maybe wrong).

And also the frozen "bettercream" is available prewhipped in a 15 pound bucket.
I am not sure of the cost but cheaper than anywhere else.

ann1112 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ann1112 Posted 17 May 2013 , 9:15pm
post #12 of 12

AAfter you use the CK buttercream icing do you have to refrigerate the cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%