Buying The Right Tools And Ingredients

Decorating By Bakingabroad Updated 27 Apr 2011 , 12:19pm by cherrycakes

Bakingabroad Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 1:00pm
post #1 of 4

Dears:

I am a relatively new baker and I am living abroad. I have the essencial utensils for baking and minimum cake decorating with fondant and I want to get more especialized. I am planning a trip to the US to buy everything I need to get more serious about this but there are so many things and so many brands that I don't know where to start from.

Could you please let me know what things should I buy to have a decent set of tools for fondant decorating and layered cakes? Also, it would be great if you recommend any specific brands.

I am also looking to buy some ingredients such as food coloring, etc. Any advise would be very welcomed.

Finally, I would love to know if the silicone pans are as good as the others. They seem so much easier to handle, would you recommend them?

Thanks a lot!

Bakingabroad

3 replies
dmo4ab Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 1:11pm
post #2 of 4

I don't really know much about the silicone pans. But, I do recommend Magic Line baking pans. They have perfectly straight sides and are perfect for layer and tier cakes.
I also would recommend Americolor food colorings. They are easy to use and provide great color.
I have only used mostly Wilton products for fondant tools, but that's only because they are readily available in my area. I'm sure there are better products available.

Bakingabroad Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 10:31am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmo4ab

I don't really know much about the silicone pans. But, I do recommend Magic Line baking pans. They have perfectly straight sides and are perfect for layer and tier cakes.
I also would recommend Americolor food colorings. They are easy to use and provide great color.
I have only used mostly Wilton products for fondant tools, but that's only because they are readily available in my area. I'm sure there are better products available.

Thanks a lot! This is already very helpful icon_smile.gif

cherrycakes Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 12:19pm
post #4 of 4

I completely agree with Magic Line pans and Americolor!

Also look into getting a clay extruder (Makins) for fondant, tylose powder for making gumpaste, and Viva paper towels for smoothing buttercream. Have a great trip!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%