How Do I Make A Ranunculus?

Decorating By dcarylmk Updated 25 Apr 2011 , 3:00am by hrnewbie

dcarylmk Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 12:12pm
post #1 of 3

I have searched everywhere for ranunculus cutters and veiners without success. I know Sharon Z used a rose petal cutter but I have noticed that when you look close at the Petalsweet blog's ranunculus petals they have veins. I really, really want to make this flower. Any suggestions?

2 replies
Debi2 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 3

I would be interested in knowing this myself...thanks for posting the question thumbs_up.gif

hrnewbie Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 3:00am
post #3 of 3

I love ranunculus. They're my favorite flower and they seem to be turning up everywhere right now. They can really vary in their appearances. When I googled them I saw some that are tightly formed, others that are more opened, and still others that look more like peonies. Petalsweet's petals are usually distinctly marked with lines along the upper edge and have very few petals. (Not sure why since they don't look like that in nature but I do love her work so I don't necessarily care icon_wink.gif ) I found Sharon's website to be very helpful when I made mine a few weeks ago (pictures are in my profile).

To make them I followed Sharon's instructions for the centers and started with a really pale apple green color. Then I cut individual petals out and cupped them before attaching. I have 6 different rose cutter sets so I started with the smallest for the ones closest to the buds and then worked my way out to the largest ones. Each flower ended up with at least 60-75 petals on it. I spent probably 10-12 hours working on those 5 or 6 flowers. It was insane but I loved every minute of it.

If you wanted to give it veining you could press the petals into a rose or all-purpose veiner. But given that the petals are so closely compacted the veining might not be too noticeable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%