Halfing Macsmom's Orange Dreamsicle Cake Help

Baking By musicislove05 Updated 21 Apr 2011 , 7:55pm by nickshalfpint

musicislove05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
musicislove05 Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 3:52am
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone!

I have halved Macsmom's cinnamon roll cake with great results and using egg whites instead of whole eggs. I also used 1 1/2 packages of yogurt instead of 1 cup of sour cream even though it wasn't a full cup. I have also halved this recipe with whole eggs, but prefer using egg whites because it was much lighter.

Tonight, I tried doing the same thing with the orange dreamsicle cake, but it didn't turn out as I had hoped. The recipe calls for 9 egg whites. I was just going to use 4 egg whites, but then figured maybe I could just put another half egg white in there, but then accidentally put in pretty much the whole egg white, so the batter ended up having 5 egg whites. Also, the original recipe called for 2 cups sour cream. Instead of sour cream, I decided to use orange cream yogurt. Now, with the cinnamon roll cake, it called for either 2 cups sour cream or 3 yogurts. I decided to use yogurt for that one since I wanted to halve everything, but only used 1 1/2 yogurts, which wasn't exactly a cup, but the cake turned out great. With this orange dreamsicle cake, I used almost 2 yogurts, so I used a full cup instead of just 1 1/2 like I did with the other one. The cake was good, but it just wasn't as light as I wanted it to be like with the cinnamon roll cake.

My question is could the extra egg white and yogurt been the reason why the cake wasn't as light as I wanted it to be? Also, when you halve recipes with odd numbers such as 9 egg whites, what do you do? For those of you who have halved this recipe, did you do 4 or 5 egg whites or try the 4.5? Any input is appreciated. Thanks icon_smile.gif

7 replies
MrsMoe07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMoe07 Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 4:21am
post #2 of 8

I just made the orange dreamsicle cake this weekend and I did 4.5 eggs using the carton egg whites and sour cream and it came out find. Sorry if this doesn't help much.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 4:28am
post #3 of 8

Lol.....I was gonna cut the recipe in half, but decided to make the whole thing and freeze half of it. I didn't have the energy to dothe math (=

MrsMoe07 Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 4:34am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickshalfpint

Lol.....I was gonna cut the recipe in half, but decided to make the whole thing and freeze half of it. I didn't have the energy to dothe math (=

Do you have a kitchen aid mixer? Did it all fit in? I've been thinking of doing this, but wasn't sure if would fit.

nickshalfpint Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 4:42am
post #5 of 8

I didn't use my kitchen aid this time, but I have before and it fit, it was a tight fit though. I had already made the frosting in my kitchen aid and didn't want to clean my bowl out (=

musicislove05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
musicislove05 Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 6:06am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickshalfpint

I didn't use my kitchen aid this time, but I have before and it fit, it was a tight fit though. I had already made the frosting in my kitchen aid and didn't want to clean my bowl out (=

what kind of frosting and filling did you use?

MrsMoe07 Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 1:45pm
post #7 of 8

I filled it with a bavarian cream recipe I found on here.

nickshalfpint Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 7:55pm
post #8 of 8

I filled it with orange flavored pudding ( paula deen's recipe) and iced it with orange flavored butter cream. I made cupcakes too and used chocolate buttercream and those were GOOD!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%