Halfing Macsmom's Orange Dreamsicle Cake Help

Baking By musicislove05 Updated 21 Apr 2011 , 7:55pm by nickshalfpint

musicislove05 Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 3:52am
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone!

I have halved Macsmom's cinnamon roll cake with great results and using egg whites instead of whole eggs. I also used 1 1/2 packages of yogurt instead of 1 cup of sour cream even though it wasn't a full cup. I have also halved this recipe with whole eggs, but prefer using egg whites because it was much lighter.

Tonight, I tried doing the same thing with the orange dreamsicle cake, but it didn't turn out as I had hoped. The recipe calls for 9 egg whites. I was just going to use 4 egg whites, but then figured maybe I could just put another half egg white in there, but then accidentally put in pretty much the whole egg white, so the batter ended up having 5 egg whites. Also, the original recipe called for 2 cups sour cream. Instead of sour cream, I decided to use orange cream yogurt. Now, with the cinnamon roll cake, it called for either 2 cups sour cream or 3 yogurts. I decided to use yogurt for that one since I wanted to halve everything, but only used 1 1/2 yogurts, which wasn't exactly a cup, but the cake turned out great. With this orange dreamsicle cake, I used almost 2 yogurts, so I used a full cup instead of just 1 1/2 like I did with the other one. The cake was good, but it just wasn't as light as I wanted it to be like with the cinnamon roll cake.

My question is could the extra egg white and yogurt been the reason why the cake wasn't as light as I wanted it to be? Also, when you halve recipes with odd numbers such as 9 egg whites, what do you do? For those of you who have halved this recipe, did you do 4 or 5 egg whites or try the 4.5? Any input is appreciated. Thanks icon_smile.gif

7 replies
MrsMoe07 Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 4:21am
post #2 of 8

I just made the orange dreamsicle cake this weekend and I did 4.5 eggs using the carton egg whites and sour cream and it came out find. Sorry if this doesn't help much.

nickshalfpint Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 4:28am
post #3 of 8

Lol.....I was gonna cut the recipe in half, but decided to make the whole thing and freeze half of it. I didn't have the energy to dothe math (=

MrsMoe07 Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 4:34am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickshalfpint

Lol.....I was gonna cut the recipe in half, but decided to make the whole thing and freeze half of it. I didn't have the energy to dothe math (=

Do you have a kitchen aid mixer? Did it all fit in? I've been thinking of doing this, but wasn't sure if would fit.

nickshalfpint Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 4:42am
post #5 of 8

I didn't use my kitchen aid this time, but I have before and it fit, it was a tight fit though. I had already made the frosting in my kitchen aid and didn't want to clean my bowl out (=

musicislove05 Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 6:06am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickshalfpint

I didn't use my kitchen aid this time, but I have before and it fit, it was a tight fit though. I had already made the frosting in my kitchen aid and didn't want to clean my bowl out (=

what kind of frosting and filling did you use?

MrsMoe07 Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 1:45pm
post #7 of 8

I filled it with a bavarian cream recipe I found on here.

nickshalfpint Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 7:55pm
post #8 of 8

I filled it with orange flavored pudding ( paula deen's recipe) and iced it with orange flavored butter cream. I made cupcakes too and used chocolate buttercream and those were GOOD!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%