Cloth Ribbon On Buttercream

Decorating By gigiofknb Updated 21 May 2014 , 1:57am by my soapy

gigiofknb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gigiofknb Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 3:24am
post #1 of 15

I have a wedding cake due in May. The bride wants cloth ribbon on buttercream, will the oils from the buttercream seep into the ribbon and how do I prevent this? Any help is appreciated. By the way it is a square cake. Any suggestions about applying the ribbon? Thanks everyone.

14 replies
Mom_of_one Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom_of_one Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 3:30am
post #2 of 15

I'd like to know as well. I use fondant "ribbon" to avoid this very question.

sandeeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandeeb Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 10:20am
post #3 of 15

I take the ribbon and cut to the needed size, then I rub shortening all over the cut ribbon( oh, cut it long enough to overlap in the back a couple of inches)both sides completely and then wipe the ribbon as clean as you can with paper towels. This will keep grease spots from coming through.
The color will be a little darker but it works fine. then just wrap around the cake going to the back, overlap the ends and hold them in place with a little buttercream. I do this all the time and it makes the cakes look great.

goodiegoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodiegoddess Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 12:07pm
post #4 of 15

Take your ribbon and wax paper. With an iron on low place a thin towel over the ribbon with the wax paper(wax side on the ribbon) and run the iron over the ribbon to transfer the wax onto the side of the ribbon that is going to touch the cake.

You will have to play around with the iron to make sure it is warm enough THe first time I did the I forgot the towel...... and the wax paper stuck to the iron.

Lesson learned! LOL.

you might have to test it out as ribbons are different just to see.

debgolden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debgolden Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 1:09pm
post #5 of 15

I use packing tape on the back side of the ribbon. Take it to the back and cut excess off the sides. The grease from the buttercream won't seep into the ribbon at all and it make it super easy to remove the ribbon from the cake.

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 1:26pm
post #6 of 15

THANKS FOR THE TIPS!!
gigiofknb: thanks for asking!!
I have to put ribbon on a wedding cake next week and these tips will come in very handy!
Sandeeb: won't this method (crisco rub) make the ribbon much darker? (I went to great lengths to find just the right shade of ribbon for this cake and don't want the application of it to ruin iticon_smile.gif
goodiegoddess: does the wax paper method change to color any??

Gale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gale Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 1:40pm
post #7 of 15

I use two-sided tape on the back of my ribbons and then put the wax paper on it and trim. Works great, doesn't take much time and your ribbon color stays true. You can even put a little stream of additional bc on the back if needed.

sandeeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandeeb Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 3:01pm
post #8 of 15

I have never seen it change the color that much. you could try a small piece and see or try some of the other suggestions as well.

good Luck.

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 4:02pm
post #9 of 15

I use Crisco on my ribbon too. It does make it a little darker though. Just test a small piece to see how much difference it will be. I would rather have the darker ribbon than a spotted ribbon with dark spots where the buttercream spotted it.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 4:31pm
post #10 of 15

Press n Seal works too. At the bakery I worked for we used the 2 sided tape and wax paper attachment. You could also run some strips of Press n Seal or wax paper around the cake and then put your ribbon on. Just make sure your ribbon is secured tightly at the ends.

ginab922 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginab922 Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 6:48pm
post #11 of 15

I had a wedding cake in January that was buttercream with a navy blue satin ribbon and rhinestone buckles. I used packing tape on the back of my ribbon...I just rolled it out, put the sticky side down on the ribbon & trimmed off the excess. It worked like a charm & was so QUICK and EASY to do...no grease bleed through whatsoever. I used a little buttercream on the sealed side of the ribbon to act like "glue" against the cake & it didn't move. thumbs_up.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 8:19pm
post #12 of 15

I just let the buttercream suck the grease. Just dont use Satin ribbon if you do this. It gets too greasy.
If you have a perfect match in color, then yeah, cover it with either wax paper or packing tape. It will
get darker when the grease hits it. You can test it too before putting it in the cake by putting some
buttercream on the ribbon and see how it will react.

Edna icon_smile.gif

gigiofknb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gigiofknb Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 9:38pm
post #13 of 15

Thank you EVERYONE for all the great tips I will try them. I love all the quick responses.

kentuckyjode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kentuckyjode Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 2:49am
post #14 of 15

I encase mine in clear contact paper...works perfectly and no seeping

my soapy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my soapy Posted 21 May 2014 , 1:57am
post #15 of 15

Thank you for the simple way to fix this problem. I have been reading and reading on how to fix it and you gave me the easy fix. My husband has plenty of packing tape. Thank you Thank you Thank you !!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%