Cake Balls Cracking

Decorating By KimErskine Updated 22 Apr 2011 , 8:07pm by dchockeyguy

KimErskine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimErskine Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 3:22am
post #1 of 12

Hi I made cake pops today (1st time with a stick) and the chocolate on many of them cracked as they were drying. Does anyone know why this happened and what I can do to prevent it from happening again. I did add a small amount of shortening to the chocolate. icon_cry.gif

11 replies
jamielu23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamielu23 Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 3:28am
post #2 of 12

If your cake pops are too cold they can cause the chocolate to crack.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 3:30am
post #3 of 12

were your cake pops frozen before dipping? Did you use the chocolate warm? These are the 2 biggest factors. I find the chocolate being too warm is the biggest, since I dip from frozen all the time.

Let you chocolate sit for a few minutes before dipping.

Also if they were pops, could you cake have been to moist (cake binder combo)

KimErskine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimErskine Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 3:35am
post #4 of 12

OK so looks like I did lots wrong, LOL. Yes they were frozen and I dipped them from freezer to hot chocolate. So glad I asked because my daughter wants me to make 200 for her wedding and after today I wasn't to sure I would be able to. I will definitely try them again. Thanks to you all.

MissCuteCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCuteCupcakes Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 2:45pm
post #5 of 12

i just finished writing about my first time experience with cake balls...my chocolate cracked also

so now i know why they cracked...but my next problem is getting a smooth coating of chocolate HELP!

the chocolate coating was so lumpy...i used a spoon to roll the cake balls in the chocolate...am i doing something wrong

Cakes-and-bakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes-and-bakes Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 10:07pm
post #6 of 12

about the lumpy coating, add some shortening to your candy melts as youre melting them. about a tablespoon at a time until it's the thickness you want, and mix it in with a wisk. Sometimes I have to beat the heck out of it with the wisk but in the end my chocolate is smooth.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 3:18am
post #7 of 12

I stir shortening in with a spoon. If I used a whisk, I'd have tons of bubbles in it. The chocolate needs to be runny yet warm-not hot.

motherofgrace Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 3:49am
post #8 of 12

bubbles will settle tho

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 4:05pm
post #9 of 12

I dipped some yesterday and 3 of them had tiny bubbles.

MissCuteCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCuteCupcakes Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 7:03pm
post #10 of 12

i used shortening but i didnt whisk it as mentioned...so i'll do another trial run and see how it goes

i melted my chocolate in the microwave, would a double-boiler be better??

motherofgrace Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 7:44pm
post #11 of 12

i use the microwave icon_smile.gif

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 8:07pm
post #12 of 12

If you need them, you can also use paramount crystals to thin you chocolate instead of shortening.

I've made a few, and for the most part have been pretty lucky. I generally just freeze the pops for 15 minutes then pull them out. They aren't too frozen by then and generally don't crack on me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%