Help!!! Walmarts Shortening Is Now Transfat Free!!

Decorating By jackmo Updated 23 Apr 2011 , 11:25am by jackmo

jackmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackmo Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 2:50am
post #1 of 20

i went to the store yesterday and happened to pick up a can of walmarts all vegetable shortening. when i looked at the back of the can i noticed it is now 0 trans fat. what can i use now????

19 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 3:25am
post #2 of 20

Indydebi's b/c recipe uses Dream Whip which replaces some of the partially hydrogenated oil missing from trans fat free shortenings:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

Sweetex and Alpine (hi-ratio shortenings) both retain trans fat formulas.

HTH

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 3:36am
post #3 of 20

Zero trans fat shortening really isn't that much different from regular shortening...we use it all the time (it's a requirement in CA) and the only difference is that it's softer and more temperature sensitive than regular shortening.

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 3:45am
post #4 of 20

I've had to switch to high-ratio shortening icon_sad.gif I'm in FL where temps get way too ought for my bc to tolerate using zero trans fat shortening.

nicunurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicunurse Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 5:30am
post #5 of 20

High-ratio here too!

jackmo Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 4:35am
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Zero trans fat shortening really isn't that much different from regular shortening...we use it all the time (it's a requirement in CA) and the only difference is that it's softer and more temperature sensitive than regular shortening.

jason, how is the temperature in your part of california. my sister wants me to fly there and make her daughters wedding cake. i know that cali is trans fat free. i am afraid that might be too hot there. for it was high humidity last year. what do you do when it is hot and humid??

jackmo Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 4:35am
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmo

Quote:

jason, how is the temperature in your part of california. my sister wants me to fly there and make her daughters wedding cake. i know that cali is trans fat free. i am afraid that might be too hot there. for it was high humidity last year. what do you do when it is hot and humid??

oops, she lives in oceanside

jason_kraft Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 4:53am
post #8 of 20

I'm not sure how it reacts to humidity (it doesn't get too humid in the San Jose area), and we haven't had a cake sit outdoors in hot weather since the zero trans fat switch. It does get hot in our commercial kitchen at times, but keeping the cake in the freezer as much as possible during the torting process helps, and frosted cakes need to be kept in the fridge.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 11:17am
post #9 of 20

[quote="jason_kraft"]Zero trans fat shortening really isn't that much different from regular shortening...we use it all the time (it's a requirement in CA) and the only difference is that it's softer and more temperature sensitive than regular shortening.[/quote]

My experience is that ZTF shortening produces a very, very different product. And a much inferior one. i got a case by mistake and suddenly customers started complaining. It makes a much drier cake and the icing can separate and slide.

I specify WITH TFs to my suppliers. Fortunately my state hasn't become a nanny state like others. Yet.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 12:47pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Quote:

My experience is that ZTF shortening produces a very, very different product. And a much inferior one. i got a case by mistake and suddenly customers started complaining. It makes a much drier cake and the icing can separate and slide.

I specify WITH TFs to my suppliers. Fortunately my state hasn't become a nanny state like others. Yet.

Have to agree with Leah, when they changed the formula of Crisco my icing started sliding and leaking oil. I have started adding Dream Whip to my icing recipe and it helps somewhat. I don't make enough cake to order the high ratio shortening but wish I knew an easy way to get my hands on some. Crisco is just awful!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 2:14pm
post #11 of 20

You can buy hi-ratio and divide into smaller packages, wrap very well and freeze it. I did this with my last purchase of hi-ratio is it works just fine when I need to use it.

jason_kraft Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 2:32pm
post #12 of 20

I should clarify, we switched from Sweetex to Sweetex Z, we haven't tried Crisco. All our buttercream frosting is dairy-free too so I don't know if that makes a difference.

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 3:43pm
post #13 of 20

Walmart cans here are zero TF but the 1 pound packages are not. At least they weren't two weeks ago when I bought them.
I'm able to get hi ratio in bulk packaging, as in any size package, at my cake shop, which for me is great as I don't have to buy the 50lb block and break it up. I also buy the walmart 1 pounders and mix the two shortenings together. Saves me a few bucks that way.

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 4:17pm
post #14 of 20

I live in California, and the ZTF does make a difference in some recipes. My buttercream is basically the same (it doesn't use milk either) but more other recipes have suffered greatly (which also don't use milk). The sweetex especially is tough to use. I'll use Crisco before I'll use Sweetex ZTF again, it was really bad.

I'm only a few miles from Oceanside, when is the wedding and I can help with the weather.

jason_kraft Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 4:20pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetflowers

My buttercream is basically the same (it doesn't use milk either) but more other recipes have suffered greatly (which also don't use milk).

Which other recipes besides buttercream do you use shortening for? The only thing we use shortening for is buttercream so that may be why we haven't noticed a difference.

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 4:55pm
post #16 of 20

Rolled buttercream is the one I notice the biggest difference in. It's so soft now.

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 5:25pm
post #17 of 20

I've always used the walmart brand, right next to the crisco. There is also one on the shelf that is part vegetable shortening and part, I'm guessing, from meat? But anyways, would that be something to use or not?? Im asking because I did notice that the last time I used the walmart brand, my BC was much softer and I knew something was different.

jason_kraft Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 8:16pm
post #18 of 20

We actually experimented with lard instead of palm oil shortening (for dairy-free and soy-free buttercream) and it worked pretty well. We decided not to use it though, since the number of different recipes was getting out of hand -- we couldn't use the lard frosting for vegan orders so we still needed to keep soy-free palm oil buttercream around.

IIRC Sweetex Z is 100% palm oil. Another alternative would be coconut oil but it's very expensive.

jackmo Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 11:20am
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetflowers

I live in California, and the ZTF does make a difference in some recipes. My buttercream is basically the same (it doesn't use milk either) but more other recipes have suffered greatly (which also don't use milk). The sweetex especially is tough to use. I'll use Crisco before I'll use Sweetex ZTF again, it was really bad.

I'm only a few miles from Oceanside, when is the wedding and I can help with the weather.

the wedding is august 12, 2011

jackmo Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 11:25am
post #20 of 20

well how are the bakeries in ca. doing with their buttercream icing since CA is transfat free???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%