I Need Help With Fondant "rope"

Decorating By sweetviolet Updated 24 May 2011 , 3:01pm by ycknits

sweetviolet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolet Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 1:06am
post #1 of 22

Hi everyone!
I have a bride that is requesting black fondant "rope" (two strands of fondant twisted) around the bottom of each tier of her wedding cake. I have to deliver the cake and assemble there ( I live in the mountains and my road is too steep to travel with the cake assembled). My question is how do I travel with the fondant rope. I'm delivering it to a "rustic cabin" and there's no space to make the rope there so what do I do? Can it be made ahead and wrapped tightly enough, without ruining it, to still be flexible enough to wrap around the square tiers? HELP!

21 replies
YummyCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyCreations Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 1:21am
post #2 of 22

You might want to invest in a "rope mold" made of silicone. You just press the fondant into it. It's similar to the peal molds.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 1:26am
post #3 of 22

Use a clay extruder. It has a disk that will make a rope. You just squeeze it out and twist a little. Makes a great rope. I have used it on my cakes and it worked great. If you want to see what the rope would look like I used it on my beach cake. If you are looking for a little fancier rope I agree on using a mold.

Edited to add: I forgot the most important thing. If you use a clay extruder you can just take the fondant and extruder with you and make the rope as you need it. No worries about transporting. BTW I have the red and black gun icon_smile.gif, silver gun icon_sad.gif, and one made by Walnut Hollow. The Walnut Hollow extruder makes a nice long rope!

Kaykaymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaykaymay Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 2:05am
post #4 of 22

You can make the rope ahead of time and just lightly wrap with some cling wrap then make a loose coil and place it in an airtight container. This way it should stay as flexable as when you just made it. Maybe you can do a little trial for a few hours before to see how it stays.

RobinO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobinO Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 2:38am
post #5 of 22

Using an extruder is quite simple. But a helpful hint that I learned here on CC, make sure to work in extra shortening into your fondant - makes it easier to extrude and a smoother finish on the rope.

sweetviolet Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 6:43pm
post #6 of 22

Thanks everyone! Um....where do I find a clay extruder?

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 22

I bought my Walnut Hollow extruder in the Clay section at Michaels. They used to also have a metal green extruder that alot of people seem to like. My red and black sugar gun I can't remember where I got it, but I know Sharon Zambito sells them (or used to) www.sugaredproductions.com

I like and use them both. The advantage to the Walnut Hollow is it has a larger barrel to put the fondant in so you can get a longer string of fondant.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 4:56pm
post #8 of 22

I also got mine in the clay section of Michael's! Good luck!

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 7:00pm
post #9 of 22

I also got mine in the clay section of Michael's! Good luck!

RobinO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobinO Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 12:52am
post #10 of 22

Mine came from Michaels as well. You may want to consider the kind that opens from both ends of the barrel - makes adding fondant while you're working much easier.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 2:05am
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Price

Use a clay extruder. It has a disk that will make a rope. You just squeeze it out and twist a little. Makes a great rope. I have used it on my cakes and it worked great. If you want to see what the rope would look like I used it on my beach cake. If you are looking for a little fancier rope I agree on using a mold.

Edited to add: I forgot the most important thing. If you use a clay extruder you can just take the fondant and extruder with you and make the rope as you need it. No worries about transporting. BTW I have the red and black gun icon_smile.gif, silver gun icon_sad.gif, and one made by Walnut Hollow. The Walnut Hollow extruder makes a nice long rope!

Your beach cake is gorgeous Price...love her sunnies icon_biggrin.gif

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 2:06am
post #12 of 22

I have a green aluminium Makins extruder and that works well.

ppinkow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ppinkow Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 12:11am
post #13 of 22

I got the green Makins at Hobby Lobby. Haven't used it yet. Will let you know how it works with the cable I am making this week. It is for a Tow Mater 3D cake icon_biggrin.gif

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 12:43am
post #14 of 22

Use the Makins Clay Extruder (the green one). I also purchased additional discs to use with it. I used the disc that makes 3 ropes at one time, all joined at the center and then twisted it used royal icing to attach. You can do that from home and should have no problems with it staying attached during delivery. The latest use for it is the Baby Shower Bassinet Cake on the home page tonight. That rope was stuck really good and not one bit of it came loose during a long delivery Saturday on curvy roads.

Good luck!
Pam

ppinkow Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 12:49am
post #15 of 22

I want to use the ropes for Tow Mater's cables. Will they stay pliable?

ptanyer Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 12:52am
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppinkow

I want to use the ropes for Tow Mater's cables. Will they stay pliable?

If you use fresh fondant they should stay pliable for a short amount of time. I make mine as I am ready to apply it so that it is not starting to dry out. If I am making a lot of it, I have been able to make it and put it under plastic wrap and it will extend the working time for a little while.

ppinkow Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 12:56am
post #17 of 22

Thanks icon_smile.gif

ptanyer Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 12:59am
post #18 of 22

I seem to remember seeing a Two Mater cake where they used licorice ropes for the cables. I've seen the rope ones and the smooth strings at Walmart.

Either method should work. Good luck icon_smile.gif

mischelle522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mischelle522 Posted 5 May 2011 , 2:37pm
post #19 of 22

I have a question on this. I'm not making a rope- but a braid and shoe laces for a corset top.
Would the clay extruder work for this as well?

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 5 May 2011 , 3:04pm
post #20 of 22

yep, there are all sizes and types of discs available. I love my clay extruder!

sweetviolet Posted 24 May 2011 , 2:44pm
post #21 of 22

Just an update on the outcome of this cake. The picture is posted (white cake, black ropes, with a wonky bow) I didn't have time to get an extruder so this is what I did. I rolled out black fondant by hand until it was about a 10" rope or so (it was still very thick at this point). Then I used my fondant smoother and just carefully, applying equal pressure along the length, continued to roll it out into ropes, moving the smoother up and down the length of the rope. This worked really well and I didn't have to get an extruder, although I'd still like to get one in the future for perfectly even rolled ropes and things.

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 24 May 2011 , 3:01pm
post #22 of 22

I make ropes all kinds of ways - with the Walnut Hollow extruder, hand rolled and twisted, and with a mold. In my opinion, the mold is the most clean and reproducible and fastest method. If I'm making a really special cake, I do a hand rolled and hand braided braid. I love the look of these and because of the three strands of fondant involved, small irregularities even out. But for a quick, on location job, I'd definitely use the mold icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%