What Do You Do On Your Birthday?

Lounge By buttercuppie Updated 18 May 2011 , 5:32pm by SweetDreams98

buttercuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercuppie Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 25

My birthday is coming up and I'm looking forward to it for the simple fact that I'm planning to take the day off (after my early morning delivery) and that I'm buying my cake (from my favorite bakery...a marble chiffon...just simple and yummy).

These weeks before are simply INSANE w/ Easter this weekend, Mother's Day in 2 weeks (my bday is the day after) and I have a 3 big orders the week in between....I'm so excited...I don't care if the president calls...NO ORDERS THAT DAY...

...well if he DID call...I'd at least pretend to take down some information...LOL!

Just curious what other people do?

24 replies
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 11:21pm
post #2 of 25

I don't do too much; my birthday falls at a really busy time at work. My family knows to just drop off the gifts icon_biggrin.gif. OK, a little more than that but at my age, they just don't thrill me all that much icon_lol.gif. Last year I made my own birthday cake and that was actually fun.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 11:34pm
post #3 of 25

I sit and wait for people to remember, then when they do remember I wait for my cake. But it never comes because people just assume that since I make cakes that I should make my own. My family LOVES me (=(=

MaTwosey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaTwosey Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 12:01am
post #4 of 25

When the cake decoration is really involved, I usually just use a box cake. On my birthday, I make a scratch pound cake and take care to do it just right. I don't bother with decorating, just a simple, delicious cake (sometimes I even share with the kids.)

Stephy42088 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephy42088 Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 12:19am
post #5 of 25

Today's my birthday icon_smile.gif and I made my own cake. Vanilla cake with cream cheese frosting, caramel and chocolate ganache filling. Quilted pattern with big pink peony! I loved that I was able to make just a simple, pretty cake. No bells and whistles...just the way I wanted icon_smile.gif

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 12:35am
post #6 of 25

My birthday was funny the day before i was finishing my last Wilton class (this was in oct) My daughter said.. Ma, I wanted to try and make you a cake, But being you have to make one for class, Can we use that one, Cuz i`d prob. mess it up anyway, Gotta love them,

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 12:39am
post #7 of 25

BTY,.... HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Stephy42088

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 12:39am
post #8 of 25

Birthdays were never a big deal when I was growing up so they are not a big deal now. Except for my 50th (which I baked my own 3 tier cake and shared it with 160 college guys at one of my caterings! icon_biggrin.gif ), I'm very uncomfortable with any birthday attn. Its because I don't feel that I DID anything to merit attn or gifts. I am the end product .... I didnt' do the work.

One of my kids said once, "Your birthday is sometime in the winter, isn't it mom?", and that's fine with me that they dont' know for sure when it is.

I never shared it with people I work with because I did not want the silly and unwanted attn that co-workers tend to get.

I celebrate my age .... I say that I keep getting older AND better!! icon_biggrin.gif ..... but I just don't celebrate birthdays.

So what do I do on my birthday? Hopefully, nothing.

KarolynAndrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarolynAndrea Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 12:53am
post #9 of 25

I get an ice cream cake! I would never make myself one, it is like a day off for me. And since my bday is in July, ice cream cake is perfect. icon_smile.gif

Elcee Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 12:58am
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I never shared it with people I work with because I did not want the silly and unwanted attn that co-workers tend to get.

Funny thing we have in common, indydebi, I've been at the same job for 13 years and none of my coworkers know when my birthday is icon_lol.gif

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 1:11am
post #11 of 25

Sometimes I take the day off of work just for fun. If I want to have cake, I have to make it myself....which works out well as I can try anything new that I want (recipe, technique, etc.).

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 3:18am
post #12 of 25

Honestly, no cake for me. Like to make them, but never wanted to eat much, so none for me. Since age 29, I like to stay in bed all day and cry. Then I go on Facebook and change the year of my birth back a year so I'm eternally 29! Seriously. I'll be 39 my next one, Bring on the Kleen-ex! lol

Happy birthday, and I hope you do something very fun and special.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 3:38am
post #13 of 25

keoni, you make it sound like getting older is a bad thing! icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

you need to read this that i wrote:
http://debiswritingcollection.blogspot.com/search/label/best

then start celebrating every stage of your life!!! I'm heading toward 60 and wouldnt' miss a second of the journey!!! thumbs_up.gif Climb on board my roller coaster! the ride is fabulous! icon_biggrin.gif

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 11:09pm
post #14 of 25

I couldn't care less about my own birthday. I'm happy if I just get to stay home and do nothing for the day. I like fussing over (and making cakes for!) other people's birthdays (even though in their place, I'd hate that! LOL)

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 11:18pm
post #15 of 25

That's easy....on my bday I don't bake, cook or clean! The family takes me out to dinner and I usually make everyone get a different plated dessert so that I can try them all. icon_lol.gif

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 2:13am
post #16 of 25

@ Debi,

It's the old double standard, except in reverse. It's ok for everyone else to get older, but it's not ok for me. When I was 35, a 17 year old kid said, "man, I wish you were my mom", and that's when the mid-life crises hit. I cried, I thought, if I live to be 70, my life is half over, I haven't accomplished enough, and so on.

So, I celebrate others, but like my bday to go un-noticed.

mama_amy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama_amy Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 3:15pm
post #17 of 25

I do whatever my husband and children plan. If they don't plan anything I don't bother. I won't take a day off of work, tell anyone, or make special plans. A few years ago my mom called on my birthday and I assumed that she called with an update about my ill grandfather. I didn't even realize it was my birthday and most everyone else had forgotten.

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 4 May 2011 , 12:22am
post #18 of 25

My birthday is Christmas Eve. I'm usually shopping and wrapping presents or baking cookies.

Really I could care less the fact that it's my birthday to me it's just one big party that we all get to celebrate. And I hate the fact that family feels the need to give me a birthday present AND a Christmas present -- it's very uncomfortable expecially when we agree to "no pesents this year" but I still get a birthday gift.

billiev2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
billiev2000 Posted 6 May 2011 , 1:17am
post #19 of 25

I was born on Labor Day, so my birthday is on a holiday weekend every year. In my family, we all love to camp. So we spend the weekend camping with lots of extended family, then come home and have a huge cookout. My mom usually bakes a cake, then spends her time apologizing that it's not "fancy" like the ones I make. I wish I could make her understand that after all of the "fancy" cakes, it's nice to have just a simple "everyday" kind of cake.

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 6 May 2011 , 5:54pm
post #20 of 25

Well I'm getting nearer to 70 but look older, so BD celebrations are not something I relish nor want. The least attention is the best attention as far as I'm concerned, I'd much rather put all the attention to the grandchildrens BDs.
My mother, now long gone, did not age well or gracefully, and I used to think, probably rather selfishly, that I hope I don't have the same trait.
Not that it was horrible thing, people age in different ways, its a fact of life. My mother in law in her mid 90s has facial skin like a baby still.
Yet my Mother seemed to all of a sudden look 20 yrs older than she was a week earlier when she hit her early 60's.
My Mother hated that, and now I'm the same as she was as I've not aged well either. Vain thinking on my part I suppose. but its a bit hard on the heart when a sales clerk or nurse or whomever, not really thinking, refers to my DH as being my son.

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 8 May 2011 , 4:41am
post #21 of 25

I make them take me to Cold Stone for ice cream typically. This year though I'm making them take me to the Cheesecake Factory. I've never been but I've had their cheesecake and it's good. That way I can get a piece and not take home the whole darn thing to ride around on my butt for the next year!

Elcee Posted 8 May 2011 , 5:53pm
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franluvsfrosting

This year though I'm making them take me to the Cheesecake Factory. I've never been but I've had their cheesecake and it's good.

Skip dinner there and go only for dessert...the food is just mediocre.

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 8 May 2011 , 11:59pm
post #23 of 25

That was my plan! icon_biggrin.gif

Elcee Posted 9 May 2011 , 1:15am
post #24 of 25

Oh, good! Have fun! icon_smile.gif

SweetDreams98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreams98 Posted 18 May 2011 , 5:32pm
post #25 of 25

I like to go camping with friends and my boyfriend. I live in Ohio (by Cleveland) so we go up to Sandusky and then take the Ferry over to Put In Bay. It's pretty much a Party island. I'm not a big drinker but there's several wineries on the island and a TON of really fun bars with DJ's and dancing. I think that's what I'm doing this year, though I do have a cake already booked for 2 days after my birthday so I may have to go a week before or something. As for cake, I love baking/decorating but I don't eat it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%