What To Do With Practice Cakes??

Decorating By MrsMoe07 Updated 20 Apr 2011 , 11:45pm by witchfulthinking

MrsMoe07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMoe07 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 15

I've recently started baking and of course I want all the practice I can get, but what am I supposed to do with the cake?! I can't keep them in my house (I'd eat them then hate myself or my husband would eat them and hate himself, lol). I've given my friends cake, but if possible I would like to bake at least 2 cakes a week and well I don't know that many people (we moved to a new state 6 months ago).

How am I supposed to get practice if I don't bake? But what am I supposed to do with the cake once I bake it
icon_sad.gif

14 replies
cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 15

When ever I try out new recipes and like you, I don't want to keep it in the house I donate it. I take it to one of the fire stations that is close to our home. I let them know that often they do not receive recognition for all they do and I need some guinea pigs too. The say now that they love being my guinea pigs. Take them to a doctors office or your bank, there are many ways to get "rid" of your cakes. thumbs_up.gif
evelyn

langranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
langranny Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 15

Check with your local food pantries and the Salvation Army. How about retirement or nursing homes? Or Women's shelters or homeless shelters? Police departments or dispatch centers. I bet they'd all love a freshly baked cake.

BakerAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerAnn Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 15

Wonderful idea from CakeGrandma!

Our church has pot luck dinners after services twice a month. Guess what I always take? Great way to try new recipes and know whether I personally like them as well!

Stella2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stella2010 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 15

You can also donate cakes to a local children's hospital or Ronald McDonald House. They try to get donations to feed families that have kiddos in the hospital. They are always happy to receive free food!

MrsMoe07 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 15

Thanks for all these ideas! I love them all! Especially the childrens' hospital and shelters. Now I have an excuse to bake tonight icon_smile.gif

langranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
langranny Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 15

Of course you can always invest in a couple of Styrofoam dummy cakes and then just decorate them over and over... cheaper too.

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 9:27pm
post #8 of 15

You can also practice on upside down cake pans.

thecakestand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakestand Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 9:53pm
post #9 of 15

I just recently found an organization in my area that gives cakes to foster children. These are more on a schedule than you might be looking for. But the way they have it set up is you pick a kid from the list and it gives you their birth date and gender. Then you drop the cake off at their local DHS office. Ours is birthdays made with love, but there are many organizations around like it. I think the original was Cakes for Kids, google it!

Ummeiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ummeiko Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 10:11pm
post #10 of 15

I haven't ventured too far out. Because I tend to make small cakes, I give a lot of them to my mom's workplace. Some I take to the daycare I used to work at, but that takes extra permission because of allergies and the fact that the kids are special needs, both physically and mentally - some of them can't even eat solid food, let alone cake. So it's less of a "surprise! Here's cake!", but still a fun time. Sometimes I just give them to the staff there too... they don't get a lot of extra treats.

Marla84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marla84 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 10:24pm
post #11 of 15

Wherever you plan to donate it is a good idea to call first. I worked at a children's hospital and we were not allowed to give homemade baked goods to the kids. Also, all donations had to be scheduled to make sure staff was available to receive it and deliver it to the appropriate area.

RedRoxx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedRoxx Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 10:39pm
post #12 of 15

what about bringing it to your office? I would do that.

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 11:03pm
post #13 of 15

Take them to your doctor's office, your pastor, your children's (if you have kids) school office, and even the local police station or fire department. I have carried several things to the police and sheriff's department before and they really appreciate it. My son was on a fire department that a member of the community they worked in brought them pizza without announcing it about once a month. Those places are great for advertising as well. Good Luck!

MrsMoe07 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 11:41pm
post #14 of 15

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I spoke with The Ronald McDonald house I think they are going to be my first choice. I feel really good knowing I have all these donations options.

witchfulthinking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
witchfulthinking Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 11:45pm
post #15 of 15

If I'm trying a new recipe I make it as mini cupcakes and send to work with my DH. Then all his coworkers give feedback. If it's a new decorating technique I invite my GFs over for coffee and cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%