Best Border For A Newbie?

Decorating By cindylou2 Updated 21 Apr 2011 , 6:00pm by tina27a

cindylou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindylou2 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 10

I'm just a beginner and enjoy making cakes and cupcakes for my family. My mom has asked me to make her birthday cake this weekend so I've been searching plenty of sites for ideas and tips and techniques.
I wanted to try a basketweave on the side but I think that may be too much for me. So I'm just going to add a border buit cant decide between dots or shells. I do stars all the time so want something different.
Can you tell I'm just a novice? LOL

9 replies
Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 10

Dots or shells are an excellent choice.

Dots are the easiestcan't go wrong, just remember to flatten out the points with your finger or your finger dipped in cornstarch or powdered sugar.

You might want to practice the shell border first, to make sure your shells are consistent in size and length before piping on the cake.

cindylou2 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks so much for replying. I've just spent the last few minutes checkign out the borders thread and being impressed with all the borders that can be done. So awesome! I will stick with the dots for now. My mom wants a white cake, with white buttercream icing and since her fave colour is yellow, maybe I can alternate the dots with white and yellow.
Would yoou do dots on top too?

cakesmart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmart Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 10

Ditto on the dots and shells...easies to master in a short period of time!

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindylou2

Would yoou do dots on top too?

If you are referring to dots on a top border toosure, why not!
If you are referring to dots on the top surface of the cakenot necessary, keep the space available for writing, flowers, or other decorations.

burgundysugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
burgundysugar Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 10

maybe the pearl border! little chubby pearls..i know that was my first border in my cake decoration classes..youll need a 8 or 11 tip (ateco brand..) or use any star tip and gently press down for starlettes..or u can use that star tip for shells.. or use that star tip and make small swirls and just place them close to each other..it really is endless.

our instructor made use practice on wax paper in straight lines then in a circle as if we were decorating a cake then just wipe away back into the piping bag for continuous practice!
i hope this helped a little! good luck!! <3 (:

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 10

If you are just learning, this site might help:

Jean Plowman, aka Cake Genie, shows how to make 10 different buttercream borders with just a #17 (star) tip:   

tina27a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tina27a Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 11:46pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindylou2

Thanks so much for replying. I've just spent the last few minutes checkign out the borders thread and being impressed with all the borders that can be done. So awesome!

Cindylou2 I'm also a newbie and would love to find the borders thread your on about.Can you tell me where it is? icon_smile.gif

cindylou2 Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 1:46am
post #9 of 10

Tina, its this thread here http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-581820-135-days0-orderasc-.html
Many fantastic ideas but I will stick with simple for now.

tina27a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tina27a Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 6:00pm
post #10 of 10

Cheers Cindylou ...off to look at it now thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%