Tips And Suggestions For Beginner?

Decorating By EvieliciousCakes Updated 21 Apr 2011 , 4:50am by sandeeb

EvieliciousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvieliciousCakes Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask for tips from all of you experts icon_smile.gif I am a student, single mother of 2, just recently got laid of and have always had the interest of learning how to make professional cakes.
Now that i am home, i would like to do so,I have never attended any classes. (i would love to but im in an unemployment budget! icon_surprised.gif therefore i would like to learn myself from scratch.
Any tips of how should i start? learning how to do what first? I have a neighbor who will sell me some baking pans in payments but i dont know what sizes are good to start with.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
All of you do ana mazing job and hope to someday do the same icon_biggrin.gif
Regards, Evie N thumbs_up.gif

4 replies
bananabread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bananabread Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 3:15am
post #2 of 5

hi, some of the things you need to bake are: measuring cups for dry ingredients, a cup for liquids, an spatula, cake pans size 8", 9" 11" mixer at least 300W of power, measuring spoons. if you need more help, write me.

gigiofknb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gigiofknb Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 3:33am
post #3 of 5

Evie, check around your area for church organizations and such for groups that get together to share baking ideas. There is a church around here that does that, at no charge and they bring in instructors or each person in the group teaches a technique they know how to do. If you don't have one in your area, start one. If you get 5 or 6 people you can all share ideas. It is a great way to learn.

MrsMoe07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMoe07 Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 4:40am
post #4 of 5

I'm currently taking the Wilton classes, but this website has taught me soo much! I'm not going back to my teacher telling her what I picked up and she was really impressed (for me being a beginner). I lurk on all the forum pages asking questions and always get a reply from someone willing to help out. I'm sure with this webiste, blogs and youtube you'll be baking and decorating in no time! GL!

sandeeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandeeb Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 4:50am
post #5 of 5

Hi, When I first started baking cakes I mostly baked 1 and 2 layer/s 9''x13''x 2'' cakes ; 2 layer 8'' round cakes and 12''x18''x2'' sheet cakes.
I had a mixer 2-4 quart mixer bowl, a sifter( I sift everything;I now use a large sifter with a long handle and a whisk to sift). Measuring cups and spoons. Always have extra powdered sugar on hand; never buy just the right amount you think you are going to need. Cupcakes are very big right now they would be easy to bake and decorate.
If you would like to ak more questions send me a private note. I'll be glad to help in any way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%