Newbie Question Buttercream Or Fondant?

Decorating By CoffeeMissy Updated 20 Apr 2011 , 9:33pm by wiggler

CoffeeMissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoffeeMissy Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 5

Hi All! Forgive me if this has been asked to death

I am planning on making a basic cake for my daughter's birthday. I have an 8 inch round cake pan and have had made cakes in the past, which isn't the issue, it's the designing the cake

Her birthday is in June and I'm wondering which would work out better, buttercream icing or fondant? I want a green-ish design and I'm putting a Ni Hao Kai Lan figure on top and would love a splash of color, maybe circles or hearts on it, very easy, very basic since I am still learning, but I am trying icon_redface.gif

Which one would be the easiest and hold up the best in the summer heat? Thank you everyone for taking the time to read and help me, I do appreciate it. I really want to make a colorful and cute cake for her

Missy

4 replies
cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 5

definitely fondant if you need it to stand up to summer heat icon_biggrin.gif plus, buttercream is super hard to smooth so fondant will look better in the end. hth!

oh and plus, you put buttercream underneath the fondant so if you do choose fondant, you'll actually be choosing both options icon_biggrin.gif

dancingqueen07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dancingqueen07 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 5

Missy

I am teaching myself and I have found making buttercream smooth very, very difficult (and have yet to master this technique). So to cover the buttercream and to have a perfect (or should I say a near perfect finish), I always cover my cakes in fondant then add fondant accents. If you don't have a perfect finish where the cake meets the cake board, add fondants balls or a ribbon to cover up the imperfections.

Best of luck.

CoffeeMissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoffeeMissy Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 5

thank you for the replies!! I will try out the fondant, I am alittle nervous about making a disaster lol, I am going to do a practice cake or two icon_biggrin.gif

wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 9:33pm
post #5 of 5

I would go with fondant too . I am simply in awe at all the amazing buttercream cakes on this site . Even trying to get the buttercream smooth enough to put fondant over is so difficult for me . Hopefully with tonnes more practise I just might crack it . Cant see it happening any time soon !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%