Cube Cake Question(S)

Decorating By Kitty_Stargazer Updated 21 Apr 2011 , 4:06am by bakingkat

Kitty_Stargazer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitty_Stargazer Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 8

Hello All,

I'm planning to make a cube shaped cake (a weighted companion cube for a portal 2 (video game) release party). The plan is to stack 8 inch square cake layers (4 x 2 inch layers). Do you think this cake will need a support structure?

I'm thinking it might be best to have one cake board half way through (with dowelings, etc). My question then becomes: What would be the best way to cover this cake in fondant? I would like to just cover the whole thing, but I'm worried that will make it very difficult to cut. Would it be better perhaps to cover each half separately for ease of separation? What would you suggest?

Thanks a bunch!

P.S. Here is a pic for reference: http://westkarana.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/wcc1.jpg

7 replies
Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 8

To answer your first question, yes, I would definately put a board and supports between the second and third layers.

Sorry, I can't help you with covering it, I've not done a square cake before. This has the potential to be a pretty awesome cake though - good luck!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty_Stargazer

What would be the best way to cover this cake in fondant? I would like to just cover the whole thing, but I'm worried that will make it very difficult to cut. Would it be better perhaps to cover each half separately for ease of separation? What would you suggest?

I'd suggest doing it the way that you're most comfortable with, and not worrying about if it will be difficult to cut. They don't need to separate the cube to cut... they can cut down to the cardboard that you'll have in the middle at 4 inches. Once the top half of the cube is served, they can simply remove the cardboard, and continue slicing the bottom half. Good luck.

Enchantedcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantedcakes Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 8

When I made mine I covered the cube in one piece of fondant, but if you need to just panel it, it would be fine as the corner pieces cover most of the cake. My cube can be seen here, and yes the cake is a lie...it was a dummy cake and the cube was cake (portal 1 joke).

http://www.enchantedcakes.net/Picasa%20HTML%20Exports/3-D%20cakes/target97.html

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 6:21pm
post #5 of 8

exactly what cwr41 said

Kitty_Stargazer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitty_Stargazer Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 12:22am
post #6 of 8

Awesome! Thanks guys!

One more question (yes I'm a newbie and it's kinda dumb):
Do you ice the layer under the cake board?

I mean, if it goes:
Plate->cake->icing->cake->??(do I ice here)??->cake board->cake->icing->cake->icing->fondant

Thanks in advance! icon_smile.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 3:36am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty_Stargazer

Awesome! Thanks guys!

One more question (yes I'm a newbie and it's kinda dumb):
Do you ice the layer under the cake board?

I mean, if it goes:
Plate->cake->icing->cake->??(do I ice here)??->cake board->cake->icing->cake->icing->fondant

Thanks in advance! icon_smile.gif

Yes, ice the surface of all cake layers... nobody wants to eat a bald cake without icing on top! You can add a square of waxed paper to the top of this layer to prevent the icing from being pulled off when the cardboard is removed. Also, smear some BC on the surface of each board so the cake won't slide off. HTH.

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 4:06am
post #8 of 8

You can also make sure your layer under the cardboard crusts so that it wont stick. I think doing fondant pieces as panels will give you the cleanest cube look. Doing it in panels will give you nice edges and corners. Good luck! My bf is soo excited for portal 2 (I made a portal 1 cake, a real one! lol) so I can't wait to see how yours comes out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%