Edible Images Not Working Great

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 20 Apr 2011 , 7:02pm by Cathy26

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 3

Hi guys, I have a canon ip600 printer and edible inks and basically if I want to print corporate logos or cartoons they work perfect (I do a lot of corporate events) but for photos they don't work out half the time and it's incredibly frustrating.

Photos that don't work are ones where the background and foreground are very similar like for example a dark background with a figure wearing a black top and dark brown hair or school photos where the customer has scanned it into a computer and the photo is again a grey background and pale child in a school uniform.

Is this normal? I read online that people can use any photo even a really really old one and certainly I've seen vintage weddings etc on top of cakes so I'm concerned I'm doing something wrong.

If I get a modern photo with lots of contrast in colours emailed to me it works well but otherwise I'm left frustrated and it prints out almost like pop art or a negative like it can't pick up the differences in colour.

Is this just the way it is and I should stick to specifying that I need modern images? Ive spent over an hour this week trying out different photos for a family who are insistent on using an old school picture and its costing me ink and icing cupcake circles and time printing out trials.

Many thanks in advance, cathy

2 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 3

See if you can't manipulate the photo a bit in photoshop to get a better contrast. Also, print your test pages on regular paper. Wasting ink, but at least not the (more expensive) icing sheets.

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 3

thats a good idea with the test pages - il have to have a go with photoshop, its just so annoying that some are perfect and others are awful and it takes so long to do them especially when its like for an order of 6, its hard to charge for the time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%