How Did She Get It In There?

Decorating By Queento2 Updated 20 Apr 2011 , 5:46pm by Queento2

Queento2 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 9

I want to make this cake for a coworker/friend of mine for her upcoming birthday next month. This snack cake is our biggest weakness from the vending machine. How did she get the buttercream on the inside?

And another question, how big do you think the cake is? It appears to only be a single layer, but i don't how that's possible.

8 replies
CWR41 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 9

Not a single layer. If the cupcake is single layer, you can guestimate how many layers the cake is. The buttercream on the inside would be applied the same way you'd get any filling in the middle between layers--spread on. It didn't say it was piped in, although that would be the way to go with a cupcake.

Edited to add: Sorry, I didn't see the additional view showing the inside of the cake before posting the first time. The cake doesn't appear to be several layers stacked. Definitely filled somehow... not spread on!

JenJane Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 9

I would just email her and ask how she did it. In the comments she seemed to get back to everyone quickly with answers.

Herekittykitty Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 9

I am baker has a great blog where she puts designes inside her cakes, complete with tutorials. Now she fills with cake ball like material but there is no reason you couldn't do it with frosting.

Because I have it, I would use the bottom half of the Wilton Giant Cupcake pan, trim off the ridges and use a scoop of some sort to remove the center. Or you could perhaps use a wondermold and trim the narrow end until it is the right shape.

Queento2 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 9

I do have the giant cupcake silicone mold pan, but it seems even bigger than even that. The reason why it didn't look like multiple layers is because the sides and also the inside, look like one solid layer. So, maybe it is the giant cupcake but tweaked. I will email her and see what she says. Thanks.

KimLynnC Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 5:21pm
post #6 of 9

I may be mistaken, but to me it looks like white cake in the middle not buttercream.

Queento2 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 5:25pm
post #7 of 9

it's buttercream. She calls it "almost homemade buttercream" from a recipe she got out of a book.

SadEyes Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 5:35pm
post #8 of 9

The Wilton Tasty Fill pan will do it for you - just google it or go to the Wilton site

Queento2 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 5:46pm
post #9 of 9

This is what she pm'ed me back, awesome that she is!

"I baked two 8" round cakes that were about 2" high. Before I stacked them I used a spoon to scoop out some cake from the center on both layers. I then filled each hole I created with the filling. After stacking them I used a knife to trim the cake so that it tapered in on the bottom. Hope this helps! "

Quote by @%username% on %date%