Fondant Help Needed....fondant Details On Buttercream.

Decorating By jess605 Updated 20 Apr 2011 , 4:37pm by Mb20fan

jess605 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess605 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 5

I've worked a lot with gumpaste, but not so much with fondant. I'm going to be making several cakes in the next few weeks that are buttercream with fondant details (stripes, dots, etc).

In the past, I've found fondant a bit hard to work with - sticking to my work surface, losing its shape when i pick it up (stretching, etc). What is the trick? Should I cut the fondant details and let them dry for a bit before placing them on the cake? Will they crack if I do that? How do I lift them up without ruining their shape?

I am a fondant newbie and any tricks for success would be much appreciated icon_smile.gif

4 replies
mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 5

I usually let my fondant accents sit for 5-10 minutes before applying them.
Dots depending on the thickness you can pick up right away. Stripes are what I usuall y let sit a few to keep its shape.

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 5

If you want fondant to have more gumpaste like qualities, you can add CMC or Tylose to it... it helps it hold its shape and makes it less sticky. You can also let it dry a little to have it hold it's shape.

In regards to the sticking, you can roll it out on PS, cornstarch or 50/50. I roll mine out on a silicon mat and just keep one part thick and keep pulling it up occasionally. HTH

YummyCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyCreations Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 5

I use a mixture of half powder sugar and half corn starch inside a handy wipe tied with a rubber band into a ball to bowder my board. That always keeps the fondant from sticking to any surface. Try not to roll your fondant too thin and if it's too soft then let it dry a little bit but not too long so it doesn't crack. Also, use a pointy tip angled spatula when picking up the fondant pieces. I hope this helps!

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 5

I used to use powdered sugar and or corn starch but found that it dried my fondant out. To avoid sticking, I lightly rub shortening on my work surface. To avoid the stretching, letting it sit for a few minutes helps with that. Also, using something flat (like a spatula or pallet knife) to help lift it is helpful as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%