Safe And Non Scary Cake

Decorating By Kiwi-whisk Updated 21 Apr 2011 , 2:29am by cheatize

Kiwi-whisk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiwi-whisk Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 9

I have been asked to make a cake for a client, they would like a coraline cake, which is blue, black and White, with coraline, black cat and mum with button eyes they want ne to garantee that the cake won't make the kid cry. Obviously I can't garantee how the baby will react, I asked they didn't want the possiblity of such reaction maybe they should choose warmer colours and non scary characters. But they want the original idea. Now they are asking if the cake can be sugar free and 'safe', for a one year old. They seem a little difficult to deal with, I don't have kids of my own. Is my gut feeling right in turning down the cake?

8 replies
ras3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ras3 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 2:24pm
post #2 of 9

If you are looking for an out with them just say that you don't make sugar-free cake...unless of course that is your specialty.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 2:41pm
post #4 of 9

I've seen a one-year-old cry at a sweet little puppy cake. Who knows why. You can't control how a one-year-old reacts to things, much less guarantee it. Tell them that in your role as a cake decorator, you can make the cake that THEY request. Whether or not a one-year-old cries when they see it is not in your domain, much less something you can guarantee.

The fact that they are asking for a "guarantee" makes me suspicious that they are looking for an easy way out of paying. I would make it clear to them that even if the child does cry, you do not consider this this a valid reason for a refund.

Kiwi-whisk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiwi-whisk Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 2:51pm
post #5 of 9

So now they have decided they want fruit cake, in which the fruit is soaked in alcohol. This may change once the husband comes home, as the couple were fighting while on the phone to me as to wether the cake would be round or square. They don't like my sketch so will do there own. Keep watching for the latest instalment

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 2:58pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi-whisk

So now they have decided they want fruit cake, in which the fruit is soaked in alcohol. This may change once the husband comes home, as the couple were fighting while on the phone to me as to wether the cake would be round or square. They don't like my sketch so will do there own. Keep watching for the latest instalment

I think you should get out of this one while you can. This might not end up well.

NJCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NJCakery Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 3:20pm
post #7 of 9

I would bail on this one myself. Who goes from sugarless to alcohol soaked fruit? Kinda of crazy in my opinion. Good luck with this one should you stay with the order.

Acentrix04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Acentrix04 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:19pm
post #8 of 9

I agree.... I had a similar situation and I followed my gut instinct. One thing that you will learn along the way, is that if there is questions and doubt in your work. Say "NO", otherwise it will turn out in a bad ending.

Hope this helps!! thumbs_up.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 2:29am
post #9 of 9

Run, Forrest, Run!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%