Cake Glue

Decorating By YummyCreations Updated 21 Apr 2011 , 1:51am by Bluehue

YummyCreations Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 2:01am
post #1 of 10

I'm fairly new to cake decorating and I'm still trying to figure out the best products to use. I decorated a fondant covered cake with a fondant cake decoration (not a flower) and was told to use Royal Icing, but the decoration fell off during dinner. Luckily I was there and had some RI with me to reattach it, but I'm worried this might happen to a cake when I'm not around to fix it. So I would like to know what's the best adhesive to use for the following?

Attaching fondant decorations to fondant covered cake - specially heavy or large decorations to the sides of a cake w/o them falling off?

Attaching fondant decorartions to buttercream covered cake - specially heavy or large decorations to the sides of a cake w/o them falling off?

Thank you!!!!!!

9 replies
Karen421 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 2:17am
post #2 of 10

I switched to using chocolate for "gluing" most things - especially the heavy ones. thumbs_up.gif

grandmomof1 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 2:21am
post #3 of 10

I use water or clear lemon extract to apply my decorations to the side of the cake. I put over 400 teal pearls to the sides of a wedding cake, traveled one and a half hours in 85 degree weather and not one fell off. I carried plenty extra with me because I was expecting a few to fall off.

On the heavy decorations, I usually insert a toothpick or skewer in the decoration while I am making them to help support the weight on the sides. This definitely has to be done while your fondant is soft.

Kitagrl Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 2:32am
post #4 of 10

Heavy decorations I use a toothpick and royal...fresh lightweight decorations I just use a dab of water.

Karen421 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 11:34am
post #5 of 10

If it goes into the real cake, I use thick spaghetti. (poke the hole with a toothpick first) If it goes into a non-edible part I use a toothpick. Someone on CC suggested that and it works really well! thumbs_up.gif

crushed Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 12:14pm
post #6 of 10

When I'm attaching fondant or gumpaste to buttercream, I use a small amount of gumpaste dissolved in a little water until it's a thick liquid. It's always worked well, although I've never had to attach heavy decorations.

What do you use to attach decorations to "set" ganache?

cakesnglass Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 12:25pm
post #7 of 10

I saw a show the other night and the cake artist from Pink Cake Box was attaching large decorations to the sides of her cake and she called her mix " icing cement?" for heavy items, she did not give the amounts but it consist of shortening, powdered sugar and karo syrup. Anyone have the recipe??? It worked great on her pieces.

YummyCreations Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 1:31am
post #8 of 10

Thanks for all of great comments! icon_biggrin.gif I will try the spaghetti and toothpicks on heavy items and the gumpaste glue as well!

YummyCreations Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 1:34am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesnglass

I saw a show the other night and the cake artist from Pink Cake Box was attaching large decorations to the sides of her cake and she called her mix " icing cement?" for heavy items, she did not give the amounts but it consist of shortening, powdered sugar and karo syrup. Anyone have the recipe??? It worked great on her pieces.

I saw the same show but was dumb enough to delete it before writting down the ingredients! Thanks so much for mentioning it. I will try to see if I can get the ratios! thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 1:51am
post #10 of 10

I use sugar glue.
Equal parts of water and powdered sugar - bought to the boil - boil for one minute - then tip in sterilized jar and keep in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
Take a little out - tip ito bowl - use and discard - that way you aren't contaminating the whole jar.
Works a treat for either fondant covered cakes or just ganache covered cakes.

Bluehue

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%