Steaming Cakes

Decorating By sjbeatty8 Updated 20 Apr 2011 , 2:27am by Kitagrl

sjbeatty8 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 1:38am
post #1 of 5

Do you steam your fondant cakes once finished??? If so, any advice on how to do this without it getting too wet?

I really want my cakes to shine and this seems to be the way they do it on TV so I really wanna give it a try but im not sure if there are any tricks... if you have another way that works for you, please share.

My biggest problem is I get powdered sugar marks from rolling it out and i cannot get them off, so I am hoping the steaming will help with this also.

4 replies
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 1:52am
post #2 of 5

It doesn't take much steam to rid your fondant of powdered sugar, and to make them shiny. Don't hold the steamer too close, and go all the way around once and check your results. I sometimes wait for a few minutes, and go over it again for more shine, being careful not to melt any of the fondant or decorations.

HTH
Kat

HobbyCaker Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 1:57am
post #3 of 5

I bought a little hand held travel steamer from Wal-Mart. It works perfect, as Kat stated, just be careful not to get to close or over steam your piece.

Karen421 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 2:14am
post #4 of 5

I steam most all of mine, but I will let the steamer - steam for a few minutes before I use it. That seems to get the drops out and it works really well!

Kitagrl Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 2:27am
post #5 of 5

You do have to watch for spitting...I "spat" all over a cake one time and then had to even it out with a paintbrush so I have not tried it again...just be careful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%