Near Ganache Disaster - Please Help!!!

Decorating By slsharratt Updated 20 Apr 2011 , 5:58am by Jess1019

slsharratt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slsharratt Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 12:59am
post #1 of 5

So i was going to try to final coat my cake with spreadable ganache - but i cant get all the bumps out icon_cry.gif
can i add this ganache to butter cream to make a more spreadable icing?

4 replies
mimi1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi1218 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 1:17am
post #2 of 5

bumps as in unmelted chocolate? if that's the case it will not get smooth even in buttervream. You may try remelting it slowly and go over it again. Otherwise I have seen a youtube video where she used a metal spatula dipped in hot water to melt/smooth the bumps out, but the warning is don't get too much water on the chocolate, itself that will make a bigger mess. Just use enough to warm up the spatula and smooth it out.
Hope that helps.

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 5:08am
post #3 of 5

Was your ganache cold? To get it super smooth you would want a room temp/luke warmish ganache, it will set up once it's on the cake, but will be warm enough to smooth it out. Good luck. Otherwise I would try a heated spat to smooth it out. I worked somewhere where we had a hair dryer just for heating up a knife for cutting through frozen cakes and cheesecakes. Good luck!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 5:16am
post #4 of 5

If you got any water in it , it more than likely seized on you.

Jess1019 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess1019 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 5:58am
post #5 of 5

Try Microwaving it for just a few seconds. Since I work with cold cakes the ganache will get cold as a spread it on. Then as a work to smooth the crumb coat and I start scraping the extra ganache off and putting it back in the bowl it leaves a cold lump of ganache in my bowl. Therefore, before I put the final coat on I warm the bowl up a little to get the smooth texture back.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%