New To Fondant, Need Advise For X-Box Cake

Decorating By Sarahdee2007 Updated 30 Apr 2011 , 1:50pm by Sarahdee2007

Sarahdee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarahdee2007 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 12:38am
post #1 of 4

I am pretty new to cake decorating, but I am very interested in learning everything I can, mostly by trial and error. So, I have volunteered to make an X-Box cake for my friends fiance. My question is, how far in advance can you put fondant on a cake? Does it need to be refridgerated? Also, If I want to make a cd, will fondant dry out enough to stand upright?

Thanks!

3 replies
Sarahdee2007 Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 10:58pm
post #2 of 4

Well, I went ahead and decided to give it a try. I figured out that I HAD to refridgerate my cake because of the filling. Also, The Cd got harder, but not sturdy enough to stand up. I guess I needed to mix in some gumpaste?

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 3:35am
post #3 of 4

Actually you don't have to refridgerate it, even if you used a filling. The fondant seals up anything inside and keeps the cake nice and moist. Since you did refridgerate it you will probably get some condensation when you take it out, but don't worry. Just let it sit and air dry and you'll be fine.
If you need your fondant stiff enough to stand upright you need to mix in some gumpaste (most do 50/50) or some tylose.

Sarahdee2007 Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 4

It did have some condensation, but I had let it sit for several hours before I dropped it off, so it had dried! And thank you for the gumpaste tip! I guess that will be my next adventure!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%