Buttercream 'bubble' On Top Of Cake.

Decorating By sadie514 Updated 20 Apr 2011 , 6:55pm by sadie514

sadie514 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 5

Hi! I've only had this happen 3 times in the past 3 years..but can anyone tell me what causes a dome or bubble between my cake and the buttercream frosting? I had a client call and ask me what was going on with her cake..I had never seen this happen, nor had it ever happened to me. Then about 3 months later I set a cake out to decorate it and about an hour later this giant bubble started rising on the top of the cake! I deflated it with a toothpick, but it came back. It took several trys to make it go away. Then last week another client said it happened to her cake. I'm frustrated..I can't figure out what causes this intermittant problem! They were all white cakes, and they may have all had lemon curd filling, but I'm not sure..one may not have had any filling. Help!

4 replies
KarolynAndrea Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 5

The dreaded blowout! Still happens to me from time to time. Make sure that when you ice your cakes that there is no moisture on the cake. I.E...if you wrap your cakes to settle, take off the wrap and let it air out for 20-30 minutes so there is no wetness on the cake. You want the BC to adhere to the cake, so make sure the BC is spreadable enough, not too stiff. I was getting them a lot before when my BC wasn't easily spreadable. Basically, an air pocket develops and pushes out the icing. So make sure you adhere the icing to the cake better and you shouldn't have that problem. icon_smile.gif

sadie514 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks! I always freeze my layers before frosting, and they always have simple syrup on them before I freeze them. Maybe one these few cakes the syrup didn't have time to soak in all the way before I froze the layers! I will make sure this isn't an issue in the future!!

CWR41 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 5
Originally Posted by sadie514

Thanks! I always freeze my layers before frosting,

If you frost cakes before they are completely thawed, you'll get a blowout where the air is trying to escape.

sadie514 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 6:55pm
post #5 of 5

Well..I've been crumb coating frozen cakes for several years and only had this problem about 3 times, so I'm not sure if that would be the problem. I think it's more likely that there are times that the simple syrup hasn't quite settled into the cake before it is popped into the freezer, then it thaws when it's frosted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%