arcie051054 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 7:57pm
post #1 of

I need and idea on how to make a 3 tier square cake to resemble hay bales for a 15 yr old boy who is having a western theme birthday party.
icon_wink.gif

7 replies
Elcee Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 10:54pm
post #2 of

I'm making a bale of hay this summer for a friend's wedding. I plan to just stack rectangular cakes and pipe the hay with a grass tip.

arcie051054 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 1:03am
post #3 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

I'm making a bale of hay this summer for a friend's wedding. I plan to just stack rectangular cakes and pipe the hay with a grass tip.




what color are you doing it?

CiNoRi Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 1:26am
post #4 of

Check out the one I did not too long ago in my gallery. I used a #3 and #5 tip for the piping in a streaking motion for the sides. 3 bags of icing, one slightly darker than the other 2. One of the lighter bags was streaked with brown

Elcee Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 1:42am
post #5 of

I was planning 3 shades of gold and put icing plugs in all 3 shades in 1 bag.

CiNoRi, your hay bale looks great and your hay is how I want mine to look. Now that I've seen it, I think I'll do a combination of the grass tip and #3 and #5 to get a similar effect.

CiNoRi Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 1:52am
post #6 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

I was planning 3 shades of gold and put icing plugs in all 3 shades in 1 bag.

CiNoRi, your hay bale looks great and your hay is how I want mine to look. Now that I've seen it, I think I'll do a combination of the grass tip and #3 and #5 to get a similar effect.




Thanks! Awesome, post photos! I can't wait to see!

That cake was rather large. You can play with the tip sizes for what you think looks best, but you get an idea. One thing I found with the streaking...go fast, the more random and messy your "pattern" the better. Also for the bale's banding- let the hay icing dry, then extrude <if u have one> the rope, pressing it lightly into the hay, looks more real!

Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

Elcee Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 12:52am
post #7 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiNoRi


Thanks! Awesome, post photos! I can't wait to see!

That cake was rather large. You can play with the tip sizes for what you think looks best, but you get an idea. One thing I found with the streaking...go fast, the more random and messy your "pattern" the better. Also for the bale's banding- let the hay icing dry, then extrude <if u have one> the rope, pressing it lightly into the hay, looks more real!

Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif




How big was yours? The one I'm making will be an 8 x 8 x 12 rectangle. I plan on lots of time to get the piping done icon_smile.gif. Thanks for all the tips! I'm not making my hay bale until July so I'm going to save this thread for reference.

CiNoRi Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 1:10am
post #8 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiNoRi


Thanks! Awesome, post photos! I can't wait to see!

That cake was rather large. You can play with the tip sizes for what you think looks best, but you get an idea. One thing I found with the streaking...go fast, the more random and messy your "pattern" the better. Also for the bale's banding- let the hay icing dry, then extrude <if u have one> the rope, pressing it lightly into the hay, looks more real!

Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif



How big was yours? The one I'm making will be an 8 x 8 x 12 rectangle. I plan on lots of time to get the piping done icon_smile.gif. Thanks for all the tips! I'm not making my hay bale until July so I'm going to save this thread for reference.




I think it was a 9x13 at 8 or 9 inches tall. So ya pretty much what you're going to be doing. icon_smile.gif Surprisingly the piping didn't take that long, i just went crazy with it I think lol!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%