Display Cakes

Decorating By Kakie Updated 20 Apr 2011 , 7:47am by Kakie

Kakie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kakie Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 4

Does anyone have any tips for making unbreakable display cakes?
The need to make display cakes is an integral part of being a cake decorator, but since the materials used are edible, they are also fragile....which is a nightmare when it comes to transporting cakes to wedding shows or lending people display cakes, as other people never take the same care and attention with them!

Does anyone have any tips for unbreakable cakes?
Is there a builders sillicone version for royal icing?
Is there anything a cake can be sprayed with to help to it repel dust?

Any tips/techniques any other fellow cake decorators have come across would be gratefully appreciated!

Katie

3 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 4

You can use spackle from the hardware store. It's very easy to work with and smooth. The synthetic material dries very lightweight and spongy like foam. Super durable too. You can't pick off decorations very easily, you'd need tools to break them off, however, you could dent the spongy decorations if you tried hard enough. As delicate as stringwork is, you could drop the dummy or roll it on its side and it wouldn't break off.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 6:26am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakie

The need to make display cakes is an integral part of being a cake decorator, but since the materials used are edible, they are also fragile....

You can use dummy cakes:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=dummy+cakes&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g10&rlz=1I7GZAG_en

HTH

Kakie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kakie Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 7:47am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the spackle tip, I will look into it!

Regarding the dummies, I already us them, it's the decor I struggle with, it gets dusty and is brittle!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%