Cricut Cake Disaster!

Decorating By MadKat Updated 21 Apr 2011 , 3:31am by JanH

MadKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadKat Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 14

I am new to Cake Central, but I have found some really helpful tips here, so please if you have any magic tips up your sleeves for using the Cricut Cake I could sure use them now! I talked my husband into getting me one because I just new it was going to make my life easier and I couldn't have been more wrong! I can't get it to work right at all! Gumpaste is to stretchy, Fondant is to sticky out of the freezer and I tried the Cricut frosting sheets last night and they did well, if I wanted HUGE images on my cake!

I have a wedding cake due May 20th and the bride has already picked the "Cricut" designs she wants on her cake, and I am now in a PANIC!!!!

PLEASE! Any advice is welcome! icon_cry.gif

13 replies
Smokey5266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smokey5266 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 14

I used a 50/50 of wiltons fondant and gumpaste. I roll it super thin and let it sit for about 20 minutes. After I run it through the machine I pop it in the freezer for 10 minutes. Works like a charm!

mimido Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimido Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 14

I have use mmf in my cricut, but i do let it sit for awhile after I have rolled in on the cutting mat and it does fine. The more you play with the cricut the easy it will be, and you'll find whats works best.

sam777111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sam777111 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 14

I swear by Duff fondant rolled very thin, but not so thin it can be seen through. Then pop in the freezer for 15 min. It's then perfect for cutting even the most minute detail!

Karadactyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karadactyl Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 6:28pm
post #5 of 14

I use just Wilton fondant, roll it out super thin and freeze it for about 15 minutes before cutting. My speed is on medium high, I find that if it cuts too slow the fondant will get gummy.

TashaDuke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TashaDuke Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 7:10pm
post #6 of 14

Go to the cricut.com Cake forum. There's a whole thread on tips for successfully using the machine.

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 14

TashaDuke - Do you happen to have a link to the cricut forum. I can't find it on their site.

Linda2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linda2010 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 12:05am
post #8 of 14

I use only gumpaste. But roll it so thin that you can see the lines of the mat.

You do not have to refrigerate nor let sit anything.

I use this technique and have not had any problem.

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 1:17pm
post #9 of 14

I started using a pasta roller to roll out my fondant with tylose. As other have said... you need to roll it thin.

MadKat Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 1:55pm
post #10 of 14

Thank you everyone! I tried a couple things again last night and IT WORKED! My husband laughed at me though, because once I got all the sample cuts that my bride picked out actually cut out and put together, no lie, I had a total BREAKDOWN! I CRIED! I've been feeling so stressed out about this upcoming wedding cake, and there was no way I could back out now! The wedding is in 5 weeks!

So what ended up working was the Wilton Fondant rolled out super thin like you all said, so I could see the lines. Then I waited about 30 minutes (the longest 30 minutes of my life!) and it worked like a charm! I did also have a sheet that I prepared with the Wilton fondant and added a little Gum Tex and it worked just as well, so I'm not sure which technique I will use... I will practice with both before the big day... Has anyone else used the Gum Tex? I just sprinkled a little into the fondant... Can I use too much?

p.s. I'm going to try to put a picture up, but you know... I'm new at this...

p.p.s Can someone please tell me how to put my own picture up by my name like you all have?

Thank you!!!

MadKat Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 2:01pm
post #11 of 14

Apparently I don't know how to attach a picture.... More advice? icon_wink.gif

Reyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reyna Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 2:32pm
post #12 of 14

I use Modeling chocolate it works PERFECTLY most of the time i don't even have to put it in the fridge after rolling i out, you don't need to put anything on the mat. I roll it out on parchment paper super thin than place it on my cake mat and roll a bit more on there so it will stick. When you roll chocolate on parchment you need to roll and pull off the paper every time so that it can stretch. So i use one paper on top one on bottom and just keep flipping it. its awsome!! ive done so many cakes with it i gave up on fondant and gumpaste. You can make the chocolate any color you want just color it after its made. If you need some pics email me. I now removed the little plastic cover off the blade and i can roll my chocolate out thicker and it won't press it or anything. the Buz Lightyear cake and Texas Holdem .... there are others in my pics.

MadKat Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 2:42pm
post #13 of 14

Wow Reyna! That looks AWESOME! I've never worked with modeling chocolate.... Where can I get it?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 3:31am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadKat

Apparently I don't know how to attach a picture.... More advice? icon_wink.gif

The attachment to post software isn't currently working.

You can either post a link or add an attachment using photobucket:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-715420-photobucket.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%