What Would Be The Best Wire For Deer Antlers?

Decorating By KathysCC Updated 28 Apr 2011 , 6:42pm by Kitagrl

KathysCC Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 6

I'm not sure if there is any wire that is completely food safe but I'm wondering what would be best to use to provide support for antlers that are made of gumpaste or possibly covered in modeling chocolate. The kids at this party like to taste everything!

I am going to attempt to make a cake similar to this one by Ellantehalima. I like her cake because part of the antlers are sitting on the board and that will help support their weight.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/74704

Any ideas or tips would be appreciated.

icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
Kitagrl Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 2:39am
post #2 of 6

The craft stores have rolls of this thick but lightweight aluminum wire...comes in several colors. I like it because its thick and stays put but on the other hand it is easy to bend into place....it comes in silver, gold, red, black, and white I think...in the floral section.

KathysCC Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks Kitagrl. I went to Hobby Lobby but they didn't have anything like that.

What department do they sell them in? Is it floral or jewelry making? I even tried the framing department and had someone from the store helping me but we couldn't find it.

Maybe Michaels will have it but they are quite a distance from me and I don't know if I will be making a trip there before the cake is due.

Kitagrl Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 12:26am
post #4 of 6

Its in floral, and I've found it both in Michaels and in Joanns...

Its something similar to this:

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?CATID=cat2628&PRODID=xprd728380#pro_colors

Although the ones I've gotten aren't in a package like this, they are more just wrapped with a piece of cardboard...but its in a roll like that.

KathysCC Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks so much Kitagrl, I would have given up if you hadn't told me where to get it. I found some at Michaels and am making my antlers now. That wire is really nice because it is easy to shape but seems to be holding up well under my modeling chocolate!

Kitagrl Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

Thanks so much Kitagrl, I would have given up if you hadn't told me where to get it. I found some at Michaels and am making my antlers now. That wire is really nice because it is easy to shape but seems to be holding up well under my modeling chocolate!

Oh good, I'm so glad you like it!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%