Michele Foster's Fondant Help

Decorating By Charmed Updated 19 Apr 2011 , 6:45pm by FromScratchSF

Charmed Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 9

I followed her recipe made made a batch and used 4 lbs of pw sugar. It tastes delicious. I am having a bit of problem. it is very crumbly and there is no stretch to it. Is there any way to fix it? I don't want to throw it out (tastes too good!!) I post a picture of the fondant :

8 replies
Charmed Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 9

I am having problem loading picture. icon_cry.gif

FromScratchSF Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 9

4 lbs??? I think the recipe only calls for 2 1/2, and when I make it I only put 2lbs, let it rest for a day then add more if I need it (generally I don't in my climate).

I would say add more glycerine but I don't know if that would save it. By the time you added enough glycerine you might be better off just re-making the batch since powdered sugar is cheap and glycerine (comparatively) is not.

Keep us posted!

Charmed Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 9

I made this recipe: Michele Fosters Delicious Fondant. It says 3 to 4 lbs of pw sugar. I think you are referring to the updated recipe: Here is the recipe I used:

1/2 cup milk
3 packs gelatin (6 tsp for reference in case you wanted to 1/2 the recipe)
1 cup corn syrup
3 Tbsp butter, unsalted
3 Tbsp glycerin
2 tsp vanilla (sometimes I use more)
dash salt
3-4 lb powdered sugar, sifted (at least once)
I still can't upload pic as attachment. My pic is below 2MB and I just get a blank page. anyone else has a problem with adding attachments?

Charmed Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 9

Okay I was able to post a pic in my photos.

FromScratchSF Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 5:50pm
post #6 of 9

Ah yes, I think there are like 3 or 4 different MFF recipes posted here...

Try adding the glycerine to a small amount and see if that helps. Like I said, when I make this I don't add the full amount the recipe calls for because you can always add more later.

Good luck!

Charmed Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 6:27pm
post #7 of 9

Hi Jen,
I just added more glycerine and some shortening and it got way too soft and was sticking to table then I added some CMC still didn't work so I threw it out icon_cry.gif I am going to make the other recipe the updated one soon.
thanks thumbs_up.gif

pattycakesnj Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 6:45pm
post #8 of 9

The correct recipe is 3 1/2 lbs pc but I never use that much, I always have at least 1-2 cups leftover. I also put white chocolate chips in it.
I would just dump and start over, there is no way to save it at this point, it is not just a matter of more glycerin, there is also corn syrup, gelatin etc that would need to be adjusted.

FromScratchSF Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 6:45pm
post #9 of 9

Don't throw it out! Cover it and let it rest for a few hours if it got too soft, especially if you added CMC. It will firm up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%