Does This Sound Like A Scam To You?

Decorating By cakequeen50 Updated 20 Apr 2011 , 7:57pm by CAC74

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 21

I just can't decide:

I hope this email meets you in good health and spirits. My name is Deruld White and i will like you to know that i am hearing impaired and this is while i use the via email ,relay calls or via text messages... i would like to place a cakee order to go.

okay my daughter's wedding is coming up on the 27th of April 2011 so i will be needing a 10- inch white and chocolate cakes or crown cake for guest that is coming on that day. i will like you to make me 200 picses of 10- inch white and chocolate cakes and i will also like to have a total cost of everything together okay. i have a private carrier that will be coming to carry the cake on that 27th of april by 12 noon of which the party will be holding by 3pm once it is ready. i will also like to have your shop address so that i can forward it to my private carrier so he can come for the pick up.

i would have come to your shop to place the order but basically i am in the hospital right now because i was down with a DIAGONIS OF THE CANCER OF THE LUNGS as such i am have been spending some time in the intensive cares. so i will like to know if you can help me place the order so that i can make payment for you so i can get my self fixed before the wedding.

so now i will like you to get back to me with the details below okay.....

THE DETAILS I NEED FROM YOU......

YOUR SHOP ADDRESS...........
TYPES OF CREDIT CARD YOU ACCEPT...............
YOUR CELL NUMBER IN CASE I WAND TO CALL YOU ON RELAY.............
FULL NAME............
TOTAL AMOUNT FOR THE CAKES.............................

stay bless and hope to read from you pretty soon.

20 replies
ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 21

Run and run fast and far. This is the typical scam. Don't even be tempted to answer this email. Just delete it and move on.

Davwattie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davwattie Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 21

Scam!

Why would a man with lung cancer in intensive care be the one left to organise the wedding cake icon_eek.gif

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 21

Hmm... The first thing that stands out to me is the seemingly broken English. I would think someone that has to use emails or text messages to communicate on a regular bases, would have a little better grasp on the language. Of course, he may be foreign... I would be leery to give out my cell number but if the rest is public knowledge anyway, then I'd say give it to him.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 21

Of course it's a scam. No question.

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 21

I agree...run! The english is horrid, the spelling, the grammer...all the key signs to a scam. I use to work in a bank, and relay calls are common, but also used a lot in scams!!

StephW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephW Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 4:28pm
post #7 of 21

Shopping around on the 19th for a cake that is due the 27th??

Smells fishy to me.

Queento2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Queento2 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 4:36pm
post #8 of 21

I agree, scam. I sell Mary Kay, and get scam emails all the time. I've gotten pretty good at fishing them out, and yep SCAM!!!

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 4:54pm
post #9 of 21

Scam! If you use hotmail, there is an option "Mark as phishing scam" if you choose this, Hotmail are made aware that it is a scam and then they can deal with it rather than it just being deleted and left to continue.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 4:58pm
post #10 of 21

..... i will like you to make me 200 picses of 10- inch white and chocolate cakes ........

Along with everything already pointed out, *IF* it wasn't a scam - which it is! - how could one make 400 layers of 10" cakes in just 4 days unless you are a huge bakery icon_smile.gif
Also how many guests does that mean they are having? Each 10" cake serves like 40 people - so it means they expect like *8 thousand* people?!?!?
I don't think even *THE royal wedding* is having that many guests icon_smile.gif

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 5:05pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davwattie

Scam!

Why would a man with lung cancer in intensive care be the one left to organise the wedding cake icon_eek.gif

icon_lol.gif Think I hurt myself laughing... why yes, of course this is a perfectly legitimate request - just because this hearing impaired, illiterate, terminally ill father-of-the-bride is not your stereotypical wedding planner you doubt his authenticity? Come now, surely his incredible tech skills and tragic tale have reassured you of his veracity and tugged at your heart strings..... I do wonder how he will walk his daughter down the isle from the ICU however....

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 5:09pm
post #12 of 21

I got 2 "relayed" calls last week. the first one I eventually hung up on, then second one I didn't answer. then this via email so I gave a minute of thought.

the 200 pieces of 10" cake....you have to admit some people are just naive. but the april 27th....that is a wednesday! how many people have a 200 serving cake on a wednesday??

so I thought I would throw it out there on c.c to make sure I am not mistaken.
thanks for confirming my thoughts!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 12:29am
post #13 of 21

I get the relayed calls with this kind of scam every now and then, and I immediately tell the operator to tell the person that I only take cash. That makes them hang up right away, then you can have a nice chat with the operator about how you feel bad that they have to relay that type of call. They know it's a scam, but they can't say anything. The operators are usually happy that they don't have to take part in it after you call the scammer out.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 1:10am
post #14 of 21

Total, absolute scam....

cheffie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheffie Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 4:54am
post #15 of 21

How fast can you RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN. Cheffie

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 5:34am
post #16 of 21

Deruld White also scamming limo service:

http://www.limousinesonline.com/showthread.php?13697-Scams/page2

HTH

BakerAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerAnn Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 7:18am
post #17 of 21

Ditto everything that has already been said.

Would it be a great world if these creeps with laptops in coffee shops all over the world (mostly Nigeria) put a quarter of the effort they expend in scamming into actually working for a living?

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 10:53am
post #18 of 21

How are you supposed to get a wedding cake to Nigeria? LOL!

For someone so ill, Deruld is busy.

This was my first clue it was a scam:

Quote:
Quote:

I hope this email meets you in good health and spirits.

Really? Who talks like that anymore?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 12:33pm
post #19 of 21

I like the email that says it would like to hire you to "slap my daughter's wedding day" or something along those lines.

cakesmart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmart Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 7:34pm
post #20 of 21

Scam, scam, and scam!

CAC74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAC74 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 7:57pm
post #21 of 21

TOTAL SCAAAAAAAAAM!!!!!!!!! thumbsdown.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%