Marzipan Question From A Beginner!

Decorating By Kiwiheather Updated 20 Apr 2011 , 1:11pm by Kiwiheather

Kiwiheather Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 3

Hi, I am new to this amazing site and have learned a ton. I bake for enjoyment and have begun experimenting with more techniques. I have a question regarding marzipan. I am making a Peter rabbit garden type cake to take to an Easter party on Sunday. I have begun making the marzipan veggies and am keeping them in a sealed plastic bag in the fridge until assembly on Sunday. I saw a you tube clip about glazing them with a corn syrup/ water mixture that was boiled and cooled. Do you recommend this? Is it only to make them shiny or does it preserve them as well? Also, how far in advance can you do it? I appreciate any help! Thanks

2 replies
AnnieCahill Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 10:49am
post #2 of 3

Marzipan will stay fresh several weeks in advance. I have never glazed my pieces with anything. The decorations on my leaf cake were all made of marzipan. I like the decorations better with a matte finish instead of shiny. In nature, veggies aren't shiny. The grocery stores just dump a bunch of wax on them to make them that way.

Oh, welcome to CC!

Kiwiheather Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 3

Ok, thank you so much for your advice! I am done with all the veggies and they look cute as is so I am leaving them and relieved to know they will still be ok on Sunday!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%